Help With Trip to Europe

james127

I'd made mention in another post on this page that I'm going to be traveling to France and Belgium in February. I have been filming and putting together videos to show the students in my high school history classes as a kind of field trip of sorts and plan on doing that while I'm on my trip (you can view the YouTube page here: www.youtube.com/thehistoryunderground). I thought that it would be beneficial to tap into the wide array of knowledge on this forum to help guide me on what I need to capture and address in the videos.

So if you were putting together a video giving a virtual tour of the areas below, what would you include? I'd like to do something unique that hasn't been addressed on any other documentaries or YouTube videos. If you click the link above, you can kind of see the style that the videos are shot in.

Here is where I plan on going:

- Omaha Beach

- Utah Beach

- American Cemetery

- Gold Beach (looking at the Mulberry Harbors & Longues sur mer gun battery)

- Verdun

- Bastogne

- Maybe a few spots in between if time allows

Thanks in advance. I really do appreciate it.

I will chime in on what I can since a lot of it is fresh in my mind from three weeks ago....

Omaha Beach: You could visit the German WN60 defensive fortification at the far eastern end of Omaha Beach...it looks westward toward Vireville and beyond and gives a beautiful view of the entire beach. Try to go at low tide for it will show how vast a beach Omaha really is.

Colleville-Sur-Mer (Normandy American Cemetery): Below the Cemetery on the coastal road is a monument at the location of the first temporary cemetery for the 29th ID, which was used immediately following the invasion.....I suggest picking a soldier or two who is interred at Colleville and learn what you can about them...they are all heros.

Utah Beach: Just inland is Brecourt Manor, not far from Ste. Marie du Mont....this is the site where Dick Winters and E/506 took out the German Artillery pieces, and kids will like it for the 'Band of Brothers' connection.

Gold Beach: Go to Arromanches at low tide; what is left of the Mulberrys is best seen at low tide, it's pretty cool. Maybe visit Pegasus Bridge in Ouistreham which is further east in the British Sector but its pretty significant.

Verdun: Lots to see around the city and countryside, mainly WW1-related or before....the city itself is mainly a fortress. Just north of town is Fort Douaumont, a HUGE underground fortress, plus the Ossuary nearby that has 130,000 soldiers remains inside.

Haven't been up to Bastogne-Malmedy-St. Vith yet, so can't help you here...on my list though. ;)

That is extremely helpful. Thanks!

I will chime in on what I can since a lot of it is fresh in my mind from three weeks ago....

Omaha Beach: You could visit the German WN60 defensive fortification at the far eastern end of Omaha Beach...it looks westward toward Vireville and beyond and gives a beautiful view of the entire beach. Try to go at low tide for it will show how vast a beach Omaha really is.

Colleville-Sur-Mer (Normandy American Cemetery): Below the Cemetery on the coastal road is a monument at the location of the first temporary cemetery for the 29th ID, which was used immediately following the invasion.....I suggest picking a soldier or two who is interred at Colleville and learn what you can about them...they are all heros.

Utah Beach: Just inland is Brecourt Manor, not far from Ste. Marie du Mont....this is the site where Dick Winters and E/506 took out the German Artillery pieces, and kids will like it for the 'Band of Brothers' connection.

Gold Beach: Go to Arromanches at low tide; what is left of the Mulberrys is best seen at low tide, it's pretty cool. Maybe visit Pegasus Bridge in Ouistreham which is further east in the British Sector but its pretty significant.

Verdun: Lots to see around the city and countryside, mainly WW1-related or before....the city itself is mainly a fortress. Just north of town is Fort Douaumont, a HUGE underground fortress, plus the Ossuary nearby that has 130,000 soldiers remains inside.

Haven't been up to Bastogne-Malmedy-St. Vith yet, so can't help you here...on my list though. ;)

You could also check out Pointe du Hoc. Pegasus Bridge is well worth a visit as everforward suggested. There's a very nice airborne museum there.

You could also check out Pointe du Hoc. Pegasus Bridge is well worth a visit as everforward suggested. There's a very nice airborne museum there.

Crud. I forgot to mention Pointe du Hoc on my list. Going there as well.

Another place which is both powerful and important is the German Military Cemetery at La Cambe, kind of in between Grandcamp-Maisy and Insigny-Sur-Mer.....very nice visitor center and easy to get to.

If I recall correctly, there was a German bunker complex with either Artillery or AAA positions that is inland from the beaches that was just opened up in the last couple of years.

Don't forget St. Mere Eglise where the paratroopers landed right on top of the town.

If I recall correctly, there was a German bunker complex with either Artillery or AAA positions that is inland from the beaches that was just opened up in the last couple of years.

This may be the Batterie de Crisbecq, to the north of St. Mere Eglise….fairly new visitors center there.

Really appreciating all of these suggestions. Like I said, I'd like to tackle this from a different angle and offer something unique to people. Thanks!

I can help you about the Bulge.

First of all need to say Bastogne is not the Bulge and the Bulge is not just Bastogne … ^_^

You have 2 WW2 US Cemeteries; Henri Chapelle and Ardennes Cemetery.

The most famous museum are;

La Gleize Museum

Baugnez ( Malmedy massacre)

M&M's museum

Nuts Cave (Bastogne)

The Mess (Bastogne)

The Mardasson (Bastogne)

The Dragoon's teeth between Belgium and Germany

A Nazi Prison Camp (Breendonk)

And many Monument and visible traces like Foxholes

Feel free to ask if you need more help

Domi

Domi

Very helpful. For the Bulge, I'm only going to have about 1 1/2 days. My plan was to go the Nuts Cave, the Bois Jacques woods outside of Foy, the battlefields outside of St. Vith (I know a guy who fought there), the dragon's teeth and Henri Chapelle. Is that too ambitious of a plan given the amount of time that I'll have there given that I'm going to be filming as I go? Or is there something else that you think I could squeeze in? Breendonk really sounds interesting.

Here is an abbreviated interview with the guy that I know who was at St. Vith: youtube link

I can help you about the Bulge.

First of all need to say Bastogne is not the Bulge and the Bulge is not just Bastogne … ^_^

You have 2 WW2 US Cemeteries; Henri Chapelle and Ardennes Cemetery.

The most famous museum are;

La Gleize Museum

Baugnez ( Malmedy massacre)

M&M's museum

Nuts Cave (Bastogne)

The Mess (Bastogne)

The Mardasson (Bastogne)

The Dragoon's teeth between Belgium and Germany

A Nazi Prison Camp (Breendonk)

And many Monument and visible traces like Foxholes

Feel free to ask if you need more help

Domi

Domi

Very helpful. For the Bulge, I'm only going to have about 1 1/2 days. My plan was to go the Nuts Cave, the Bois Jacques woods outside of Foy, the battlefields outside of St. Vith (I know a guy who fought there), the dragon's teeth and Henri Chapelle. Is that too ambitious of a plan given the amount of time that I'll have there given that I'm going to be filming as I go? Or is there something else that you think I could squeeze in? Breendonk really sounds interesting.

Here is an abbreviated interview with the guy that I know who was at St. Vith: youtube link

Saint Vith and Basstogne are totally opposite …

You could do the Nuts cave (around 2 hours) and Bois Jacques = 1/2 day

Henry Chapelle Dragoon'teeth and Saint Vith = 1/2 day

I'm of course talking about a normal visit … no idea if you film …

Will you arrive from Brussels Airport ? or somewhere Else. Will you start by the half day or the full day ???

Breendonk is very "interesting" … it could take another halfday and it's very close with Brussels Airport.

I never met your friend … but I have a good friend who know very well Saint Vith Area … I could give you his address if you want.

Domi

Saint Vith and Basstogne are totally opposite …

You could do the Nuts cave (around 2 hours) and Bois Jacques = 1/2 day

Henry Chapelle Dragoon'teeth and Saint Vith = 1/2 day

I'm of course talking about a normal visit … no idea if you film …

Will you arrive from Brussels Airport ? or somewhere Else. Will you start by the half day or the full day ???

Breendonk is very "interesting" … it could take another halfday and it's very close with Brussels Airport.

I never met your friend … but I have a good friend who know very well Saint Vith Area … I could give you his address if you want.

Domi

I'll be flying in and out of Paris, but coming up from an overnight stay in Verdun. My plan (which may be completely unrealistic) was to see some of the battlefield sites around Verdun in the morning, drive up to Bastogne and spend a few hours there, and then finish the day at Foy & Bois Jacques. Then I was going to see St. Vith, the dragon's teeth, and Henry Chapelle the next day. Again, that may be too ambitious. I keep trying to convince my wife to stay just one more day. :)

Simon Lerenfort

Not sure if you want a German slant on things but you can't really go without visiting the German war cemetery at Recogne. Seeing the last Konigstiger of KG Peiper at La Gleize is a must. Maybe the Panther at Grandmenil if you have time. The one at Ligneuville is not there currently and the one at Celles is probably too far off your route. Nice Sherman tank memorial at St. Vith.

I'll be flying in and out of Paris, but coming up from an overnight stay in Verdun. My plan (which may be completely unrealistic) was to see some of the battlefield sites around Verdun in the morning, drive up to Bastogne and spend a few hours there, and then finish the day at Foy & Bois Jacques. Then I was going to see St. Vith, the dragon's teeth, and Henry Chapelle the next day. Again, that may be too ambitious. I keep trying to convince my wife to stay just one more day. :)

I already have been to Verdun ... it will be impossible to turn around Verdun with just an half Day ... You must see Douaumont Fort, Baionette trench and Douaumont ossuary, and it's just a short list + the road to Bastogne.

It Will be great if you could have 1 day more :rolleyes:

I'm also agree with Simon Lerenfort ... a short stop to the Greman Cemetery which is just 2 miles from Wood Jacques and a stop to Grandmenil is a good advice

Another interesting artifact within the Norman Countryside area would be in the city of Bayeux to see the famous Tapestry. Not a military related artifact per say but it is in the epi center of the Normandy area.. Might be worth showing to the students who are not directly interested in the military aspect of Normandy and it may peak their interests in the medieval aspects of the area...

Leigh