Mexican border service and WWI victory ribbon bar

Fly USMC

I rescently obtained a ribbon bar with two ribbons on it. One is an Army style Mexican Border service Medal, and the other is the WWI Vicotry Medal with 3 stars. I have two questions. The first is why are two of the stars different sizes than the middle? is it possible that this is all that was availible at the time to the vet? The other question, is could it be possible that this was issued to a US Marine? Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for the help

John

post-5056-1230964645.jpg

almost looks British made...

my guess on stars is just two different sizes used on error. Most likely this is a US Army bar, you see this combo often with them

The Mexican Border Medal usually went to National Guard soldiers. Unlikely this guy was a Marine. Of course, anything is possible (e.g., left the National Guard and joined the Marines) , but the odds are against it.

Kurt

The Mexican Border Medal usually went to National Guard soldiers. Unlikely this guy was a Marine. Of course, anything is possible (e.g., left the National Guard and joined the Marines) , but the odds are against it.

Kurt

Agree with Kurt. I traced a similar combination. Soldier got the Mexican Border Service as a PVT in the VA Natl Guard. He later served as a Regular Army Artillery Officer in France, WWI.

I also agree about the difference in the stars. My observations show that veterans used what was at hand. Often they were unaware of regulations. In my experience, very few soldiers actually read regulations. Rather, information passes by custom or word of mouth.

Thank you all for the info. I didn't think that it would be USMC, but had to ask. I think this will go in my sale / trade stock. I will post a listing in the for sale section within a few weeks. I am cleaning out several other items as well.

they all seem bronze to me...

here is an example of a USMC ribbon bar with a silver star citation on his victory medal... top ribbon

post_22_1190417148.jpg

Hopefully, this will help some.

The ribbon bar is most likely Brit made, given the triangle on the pin. The size of the stars in a lot of cases depended on what was at hand, or, a star could of been added at a later date. A lot of the time, the silver wash comes off the star. I have a Victory Medal with a silver star on it that the only silver remaining is in the recesses of the star.

John