Vietnam 71st Art. 2nd batt. ADA Scrolls Are They Real?

blitz67

I hate having to ask, but could you guys and gals check out these scrolls and let me know what you think? I believe they are good, but I am no expert, thanks you!

post-683-0-69775200-1570920561.jpg

2nd Bn, 71st ADA never in VN. Was stationed in S. Korea, where all these scrolls were made and are original.

I agree. Older Korean made insignia are getting harder to find.

Scrolls probably date from late 1968 when the Artillery was separated into two distinct branches Field Artillery and Air Defense Artillery to such time the Battalions of the Air Defense Artillery were officially redesignated as Air Defense Artillery.

1958 2d Missile Battalion, 71st Artillery, in this time period unit used Nike-Hercules missiles, this the PENTOMIC era, 71st Artillery a parent organization under CARS

1964 2nd Battalion 71st Artillery (Hawk Missile), this the ROAD era, still a parent organization under CARS

1971 2nd Battalion 71st Air Defense Artillery, this still ROAD, but now officially redesignated, and still a parent organization under CARS in the new Air Defense Artillery branch

The ADA there on the scroll was a local unit application, probably to distinguish themselves now that the new Air Defense Artillery branch was formed. however, the battalion as all the battalions now part of the new Air Defense Artillery continued to be titled under their 1963 -64 ROAD titles till 1971 when they were all redesignated Air Defense Artillery battalions.

The 38th ADA Bde was activated as 38th Artillery Brigade (Air Defense) 20 March 1961 in South Korea I suppose, it's shoulder patch adopted on 2 June 1961. It was formally redesignated as the 38th Air Defense Brigade on 3 April 1972, the 38th ADA Bde was inactivated in July 1981 in the ROK.

So Scroll would be worn with this patch, subdued ones with the subdued ones, South Korean made full color and subdued exist.

post-34986-0-83226900-1435199775.jpg

A little bit out of topic I'm posting a picture of an oversized theater made patch variant I once had in my collection. I assume it was made for a pennant or tour jacket.

38 Arty Bde.JPG

A little bit out of topic I'm posting a picture of an oversized theater made patch variant I once had in my collection. I assume it was made for a pennant or tour jacket.

attachicon.gif38 Arty Bde.JPG

I could of sworn someone in the past posted a South Korean Made Subdued 38th Art Bde one once, didn't find it, wanted to post it as a companion to the subdued scroll member has.