A while back i stripped an ugly m1 helmet down to the steel and then i bought some cork and U.S. army olive drab and spray painted it and sprinkled some cork and resprayed and it looks horrible, can i do anything with this technique or is there something im missing? Please inform me!

Thanks, Haydn

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

A while back i stripped an ugly m1 helmet down to the steel and then i bought some cork and U.S. army olive drab and spray painted it and sprinkled some cork and resprayed and it looks horrible, can i do anything with this technique or is there something im missing? Please inform me!

Thanks, Haydn

I refurbished (3) M1 helmets with Scooter this past summer, The best technique i found is you need to find a Plastic Bowl .. Preferably a COOL WHIP bowl or something like it.

Then, we used a knife or Ice Pick and "Poked Holes" in HALF of the bowl. This way you can use the "Shake" or "Sprinkle" effect. like a flour sifter.

Good Luck !!

Carey

*** NEW *** Honorplace Site for Grandfather

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Thanks a bunch for the replies i will have to try that penny, and i love your name, and i love that line in Band of Brothers :D

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

I grind up cork in a blender then run it through a sieve. Try to get the granules as small as possible. I use a salt shaker to apply the cork to wet paint. When dry apply another coat of paint. Another tip is to hit the dry cork with sandpaper. This will keep the cork from looking too "new" and if your just filling in some bare patches will make it blend in with the original.

• 6 months later...

I have recorked a few M-1s and it can be done successfully. The WWII helmets used cork - sand was a later finish and wouldn't be correct for WWII. I agree that finding a way to sprinkle the cork dust works best, rather than trying to either roll the helmet in it, or toss it on there randomly. A flour sifter works very nicely.

Also, you need to grind your cork up very finely - and I mean VERY finely. The pieces that look small to you after you're done grinding it will look ginormous when they're on your helmet, so it needs to be almost a sand-like texture. I speak from experience. :)

I use a different approach.

First I paint the outside, inside comes later

I position the helmet on a broomstick stuck in a vice. I do it that way to be able to move the helmet around, to have a more or less flat surface to drop the cork on.

I then spray a first coat on the shell, fairly thick, and while the paint is wet, I use a big chunk of cork from an arts & crafts store wich I sand down while holding it over the helmet shell. The sanded particles fall on the helmet, all of them, big & small, doesnt matter. I move the shell around untill all areas are covered in a satisfactory way. In reality the helmet is now very much overdone with cork. It looks like crap.

I now wait about 20mins to half an hour, depending on how fast the paint dries. Then I use a very large clean& dry soft brush to wipe off all the cork that didnt stick. Thats about 90% of the cork. If there a some bald patches I repeat the process locally.

Once a uniform appearance is attained, I respray the helmet with several coats of paint, till I am satisfied. It should be sprayed in a way that all of the cork absorbs as much paint as possible.

Thats it. And here is a picture to prove it works.

post-132-1247777414.jpg

Regards,

Stijn

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Wow!...I am totally NOT a fan of re-corked helmets but that one looks good!...and hopefully it stays in the re-enactor world!! .mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Peace thank you for that detailed how-to! Thanks to everyone that has helped. When i have time i will have to post how it turns out!

Haydn

donation2011.gif

• 1 month later...

BTW, some of you guys may want to check into this guys paint. I've seen this stuff up close and it looks very, very good.

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/

Bryan

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.