My Grandfather's WWII Medals

crazyfingers

Cenotaph to the crew of the USS Shark (SS-174) at San Diego's Liberty Station Park, on the site of the old Naval Training Center on Point Loma, on the northern end of San Diego Bay. The installation first housed naval recruits in 1923 and closed in 1997. If you and your family get out to the West Coast, something for you to consider seeing. It's an incredibly beautiful city and lots of naval history there. Be sure and visit the Veteran's museum in Balboa Park in the old Naval Hospital Chapel that has a nice medal collection on display.

post-18406-0-92354100-1570996665_thumb.jpg

I'm shocked and grateful for all the positive and encouraging feedback on my grandfather's medals. I had no idea that they would generate this level of interest. Thanks

Cenotaph to the crew of the USS Shark (SS-174) at San Diego's Liberty Station Park, on the site of the old Naval Training Center on Point Loma, on the northern end of San Diego Bay. The installation first housed naval recruits in 1923 and closed in 1997. If you and your family get out to the West Coast, something for you to consider seeing. It's an incredibly beautiful city and lots of naval history there. Be sure and visit the Veteran's museum in Balboa Park in the old Naval Hospital Chapel that has a nice medal collection on display.

I went to San Diego on business several times in the 1990's. Had I known about this place I would have visited. As it was I didn't so I went to the zoo.

I don't really know if I'll ever be back to that area. I have to go to the LA area from time to time on business but never actually have any time for anything but customer visits.

I went to San Diego on business several times in the 1990's. Had I known about this place I would have visited. As it was I didn't so I went to the zoo.

I don't really know if I'll ever be back to that area. I have to go to the LA area from time to time on business but never actually have any time for anything but customer visits.

Hey, I love the SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park and have been going there, and Old Town, for 40 years for weekend trips. Don't feel bad, the cenotaph wasn't there in the 90s and it was still the NTC until 97, and not a municipal park until much later. When you come to LA next, I hope you have time to meet, I will surely make time if you have time. Thanks again for publicly sharing these priceless, family treasures you have and hope to see you post more, as time permits and you go through them. It's great to see descendants that appreciate and want to learn more about what they have. All the best, AB

Thank you for posting your Grandfather's medals! I am so glad they have been treasured and kept by your family.

Was your family from Winthrop WA?

Kurt

It was Winthrop, ME. My grandmother's home town. As I head it, my grandfather took a road trip to Maine with a friend from the Academy and it was there that they met. On his graduation they married and she traveled along with him as best she could to his various land assignments and home ports. My dad was born in San Diego. My grandmother returned to Winthrop Maine, with her 3 kids, to be with family when the Shark 174 was lost.

If you ever find yourself in Oklahoma I would recommend a visit to the Muskogee War Memorial Park in Muskogee, OK. I found it from a billboard as I was passing through Oklahoma. Has the WWII submarine USS Batfish that you can tour and a small museum. The part has memorials to all the subs lost in the war. I've attached the USS Shark. A submarine memorial in Oklahoma I never would have guessed. However, it is currently closed as last years flooding in the midwest caused damage to the sub and area. The community had to save the Batfish from being pulled into the river from the flooding. Link to the story is below.

https://www.facebook.com/USSBatfish/

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-05-23-oklahoma-flooding-uss-batfish-muskogee-war-memorial-park

post-114166-0-09812100-1571040501.jpg