My Grandfather's WWII Medals

crazyfingers

Having been drawn to this forum because I saw a nice history written about my great grandfather and grandfather here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/278728-two-months-and-two-generations-to-eternity-the-shanes-the-shark-ss-174-and-a-sampson/ I thought it would be appropriate to contribute a bit.

I've had my grandfather's WWII medals for many years. My dad let me put these metals into a display case maybe when I was around 10-12 years old. I don't recall exactly. I was young and it's certainly been over maybe 40 years or more since I opened this case up. I has been proudly displayed on my book case in my old bedroom at my parents house all that long.

I opened it today and as time permits I'll post closeups on the fronts and backs of each. I also found the box that the Purple Heart came in as well as a letter for the US Navy describing the 4 other medals. I have not yet found any letter that I suppose would have come with the Purple Heart.

Anyway, to start, here is the case that the medals have been in for so may years.

post-260284-0-45966500-1570908388.jpg

And here is the back. I don't know why it's so discolored. Unfortunate. Oh Well it is what it is.

post-260284-0-24312200-1570909160_thumb.jpg

I found a letter from the Navy where the 4 other medals are described. It's printed front and back.

Here is side 1

post-260284-0-90168600-1570909698_thumb.jpg

The first of the other 4 medals that appear to me to be general medals: Asiatic Pacific Campaign

The Front

post-260284-0-22778800-1570910019_thumb.jpg

Wow...just read both threads, small world! Crazyfingers, thanks for sharing your grandfather's medals. The discoloration on the reverse of your medal is what typically happens when the material the medal is resting on (or in this case, appeared to be glued to) got wet and ate away at the gilt finish. It's sadly irreparable damage, and as you say, it is what it is...I have a similar Purple Heart in my collection and have seen many more over the years.

I'm very glad you joined this forum and added additional info about your family. For those of us who love the research aspect, this is really an amazing opportunity to hear the "rest of the story".

Thanks again-

Dave

Wow...just read both threads, small world! Crazyfingers, thanks for sharing your grandfather's medals. The discoloration on the reverse of your medal is what typically happens when the material the medal is resting on (or in this case, appeared to be glued to) got wet and ate away at the gilt finish. It's sadly irreparable damage, and as you say, it is what it is...I have a similar Purple Heart in my collection and have seen many more over the years.

I'm very glad you joined this forum and added additional info about your family. For those of us who love the research aspect, this is really an amazing opportunity to hear the "rest of the story".

Thanks again-

Dave

Hey thanks. And thanks for fixing my misspelling on the title.

I don't know a lot about military medals. Other than the Purple Heart, which my grandfather got when the Submarine USS Shark SS-174 that he was commanding was sung by a Japanese destroyer in the early days of WWII, I assume everyone who participated in the various campaigns and such got one. But I'm glad that everyone who served received their earned

recognition.

But they are in good condition at least! :)

Great submarine group to a skipper of the boat. Great that you have had it displayed over all these years. I would echo Dave's comments on the back of the purple heart. I would also say it was displayed standing up as the ribbon has stretched out some as that could be seen from what appears to be the glue mark in the case. I have a couple of purple heart medals for members of the second USS Shark (SS-314) that was lost in 1944. This is the first I've seen from the original Shark.

tdogchristy90

From left to right it looks like you have "American Defense", "Victory Medal", "American Campaign", "Asiatic Campaign", and "Purple Heart".

The Purple Heart is given for wounds received or for being killed in action. You could probably talk to someone and see about ordering his Military Records from the National Archives. That might help a lot in determining how his medals were awarded. Either way, great grouping.

Thanks.

A most historic Purple Heart and group. Thank you for posting it. Your grand-father was the skipper of the first submarine lost in combat with all hands during WW2 and the two WW2 USS Sharks were the only submarines with the same name that were lost during the war. RIP.

And finally, this is this little Fleet pin.

I expect that most people here are well familiar with all of the medals I posted. I hope that they are of some interest.

If anyone knows what the Fleet pin may be, I'd be interested. I don't know anything about where it came from.

post-260284-0-30039700-1570914514_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for posting! Outside the Purple Heart, believe the Navy sent the other medals at the end of the war to families of the dead. A nice gesture not replicated by the Army unless specifically requested.

Thank you for posting your Grandfather's medals! I am so glad they have been treasured and kept by your family.

Was your family from Winthrop WA?

Kurt