WW2 USMC Camo Helmet Cover -Which Side?

27Division18

Does anyone know which side of the WW2 USMC camo helmet cover was preferred by men in the field? Was it the greener side or the grey side? Thanks

olivedrab1970

I have always found the jungle side on the covers I see to be worn and the beach side in almost pristine condition. I would side on the jungle camo.

R.D.

Semper Fidelis-

I'd say it's campaign dependent. Tarawa, Peleliu and Iwo Jima would be "beach side". The majority of the other campaigns (Bougainville, Saipan/Tinian, Okinawa, et al) are "jungle side". I'd agree that given the nature of the jungle fights in the Pacific, the beach side was used less frequently.

Semper Fi,

Ski

Typically, no. Word would be passed down from "higher" as to which side would be used for which operation. Exception would be the mosquito net helmet covers used late-war (and as late as Vietnam), which only had the jungle camo side. A popular mantra expressing the frustration of switching sides of the helmet cover and having to remake a pack with blanket roll (with camouflaged poncho or shelter half facing out) went:

"Green side out,

Brown side out,

Run in circles,

Scream and shout!"

I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large most (if not all) Marines and Corpsmen in a given operation will look the same. Curiously, even though the helmet covers were available, many photographs I've seen of the Battle of Guam show the Marines sans helmet covers.

Semper Fi,

Ski

thunderbolts45

Not only Guam, but there are many photos of Marines in Korea without covers. I remember reading somewhere that covers were not given out before the Guam campaign so the only guys who still had covers were the ones who didn't turn them in after Bougainville. Not sure how true that is but it seems likely.