ID'ed 29th ID D-Day - Bocage

Pegasus6

Good morning all,

Finally acquired and finished the MR research to validate so here she is! Sharing a brief post here, I have more photos posted via my Renewhistory FB. https://www.facebook.com/RenewHistory Amazing M1 and highlighting the use of MR's + additional resources to flesh out history. Enjoy!

"A truly incredible artifact… An M1 Helmet belonging to PFC Jewell Humphries, K Co., 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division, Untouched as worn D-Day through July 7th. K Company landed on the Fox Green Sector of Omaha Beach at H+30 on June 6, 1944. PFC Humphries fought with K Co. throughout the bitter fighting in the Norman bocage until he was wounded on July 7, 1944 near the town of Saint Andre de l'Epine, east of St Lo. During the final drive to take St Lo; the primary objective for US forces after Landing on June 6th. This helmet laid where it was lost, and recovered by a villager from Andre del’Epin before it was acquired and spent most of the last 75 years in the hands of 2 private collectors until finding its way to the European Advance collection and now into the RenewHistory Collection. Its initial collectors/caretakers had done research on Humphries but there was some mystery in “when did Humphries join the 29th, and did he make the landing on Omaha Beach? After continuing that research and studying of morning reports PRIOR to June 6th (the 29th Digital MR Database only begins on 6 June). The answer is February 9th 1944, Humphries is assigned to K Company; 14 May he is promoted to PFC, 16 May he is injured, 25 May he returns to the Company. There he remained, landed, and fought from Omaha beach to the outskirts of St Lo at Andre de l'Epine, where on 7 July he is wounded. The same battle he was awarded the bronze Star for carrying a Soldier back to cover. On 8 July, the MR shows his being wounded in action sent to the hospital. He does not appear on the 29ths books after this event, and sadly records at NARA STL were lost in the fire, and no more details are found later. A note for those who use morning reports, or are locating Soldiers. You can backtrack ANY soldier if you have a starting point or ending point of a Soldier. Just remember a MR is a CHANGE document, it doesn’t show all soldiers assigned. This is the issue with identifying members of companies at any given point in time. MR’s were the MS Excel of the day. Soldiers were ALWAYS accounted for one way or the other."

VR
Peg6

post-174294-0-20275700-1570884300_thumb.jpg

Great helmet indeed, and so cool because I was just there almost three weeks ago..!! ;)

The north-south road that goes by Saint Andre de l'Epine is basically the route the 3/116 took toward St. Lo, and not too far south from where Frank Peregory was killed in action on 14 June just below Couvains.

Very cool and thanks for posting :)

An absolutely one-of-a-kind helmet. Top notch piece right there. Any idea if he was sent back to the states or rejoined another unit after his wound?

An absolutely one-of-a-kind helmet. Top notch piece right there. Any idea if he was sent back to the states or rejoined another unit after his wound?

Hey All Gents,

Thank you for the comments and feedback! This is a definitely in the top of few in my collection.

In response, I still am working some research. I did find an article mentioning him being wounded released by the war department in September of 44. I know it took at least 6 weeks for notifications to reach home from the Invasion; September seems to be quite late for that. He does not appear back into the 29th Division following his July wounds. So there is still some mystery and research. I have quite a few research projects ongoing. I don't like to post until I have the majority of a story figured out, for Jewell, it was his participation at D-Day. But there is still some research further to be done for sure. He may have gone back, and be re-assigned to another unit and wounded yet again. Time will tell, and I will keep the group updated as well as via my FB and Instagram on renewhistory.

Note however, when he got out of the Army he was a SGT, this reports him still as a PFC. So it may just be that he did not make it back into Combat.

VR

Peg6

post-174294-0-01223900-1570898985_thumb.jpg

post-174294-0-01223900-1570898985_thumb.jpg

Alright,

Ears musta been ringing... His "reconstructed" file came in this evening, some good "" details, if we can call it that. So his wounds were very substantial from his injury caused by Artillery... He sustained a pnuemothorax (collapsed lung/sucking chest wound) from shrapnel and injury on his dorsal vertebra (mid spine). He spent the rest of the war at Walter Reed until he was released/honorably discharged in June of 1945... That Injury in May prior to D-Day, a concussion playing baseball...

He was a very lucky man to survived.

VR

Peg6

How were you able to identify it to this particular soldier ? Is there a name or number in the helmet ?

King,

Yes. His ASN, is inside the webbing in the Liner (Look at the inside liner picture, you can see it on the webbing from center to outside 2 o'clock; it reads outside in H-731). Conducted the follow-on research confirming the ID.

1. "H-731" he had stamped his ASN. (you find many possible matches)

2. 29th Division Insignia (No other known* matches on ID after adding in a Division)

3. Helmet recovered near St Andre De l' Epine (SADE) where Humphries is wounded (2nd confirmation of ID, Name, Unit, Location found match the above, and the MR/Unit records for action at SADE.

This is a very rare case in which we are able to confirm from start to finish. Its been a very amazing research journey; I wish all the pieces I have researched turned out like this.

Vr,

Peg6

Peg 6,

I too was just curious of the provenance of the helmet. All the internet research is interesting but what about the actual "chain of custody" of the helmet?

Thanks!

TH1

So how did you reconcile a partial laundry number to this particular soldier in the division?

Not trying to undermine your research or conclusion, just curious on your approach - sorry if I missed it.

Laundry stamps should be 4-digit numbers. So, trying to use a partial would likely generate 700-900 potential matches.

Thank you.

King,

Yes. His ASN, is inside the webbing in the Liner (Look at the inside liner picture, you can see it on the webbing from center to outside 2 o'clock; it reads outside in H-731). Conducted the follow-on research confirming the ID.

1. "H-731" he had stamped his ASN. (you find many possible matches)

2. 29th Division Insignia (No other known* matches on ID after adding in a Division)

3. Helmet recovered near St Andre De l' Epine (SADE) where Humphries is wounded (2nd confirmation of ID, Name, Unit, Location found match the above, and the MR/Unit records for action at SADE.

This is a very rare case in which we are able to confirm from start to finish. Its been a very amazing research journey; I wish all the pieces I have researched turned out like this.

Vr,

Peg6

Gents,

Great questions, Let me try and provide some details.

1. Dean, Andy Hosey who owned the European Advance collection has the best photos of this piece can be found here: Vs me trying to upload photos on here.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/EuropeanAdvance/photos/?tab=album&album_id=862348384112053&ref=page_internal

2. Tarheel, the custody: Myself (Renew History), Andy Hosey (European Advance), Julian Saddier (French Collector), Regis Giard (Author of "Battlefield Relics Normandy 1944", and "Helmets of the ETO), As I understand it he acquired from an unknown to me* person/family member that had found it near SADE.

3. Blacksmith, knowing its a 29th Helmet allows you to search the Excel Spreadsheet of the 29th ID MR Database consisting of 122,584 entries. Looking for a last name H and 731 narrowed it down. You find Humphries. Initial research was conducted by Andy Hosey working with French Researchers which leads to the 116th IR records and Humphries lights up at SADE, prior to this he is awarded his CIB in the 116th GO published 28 June 44, and he is awarded his Bronze Star for actions 19 June 44 GO #72. I continued on the research already conducted to Identify his being assigned to K Co. 116th prior to D-Day. The 29th ID MR Database is flawed in the sense that it only shows you changes to units, and it is only consisting of those changes 6 June 44 - 1945. You have to go back through the MR's (Microfilm) at NARA to find when he was assigned to the unit which I pursued thus to paint the whole story, and Jewells participation in the entire campaign thru his wounding. As he was assigned in February, only had 1 brief stint when not assigned and present (his baseball concussion in May but he is returned to duty same month). Yes Laundry numbers are typically found as last Letter-Last 4. However its not uncommon to see them used as the XXX-XX-XXX style such as a SSN. In this case his stamp would not fit where he was marking it with 4, he stamped it as the H-731 as seen in the photo. Outside of this data it is not "Internet research" it is time spent going through records by hand, digitized, and or in Micro. All the internet research in the world cant paint the whole story... Below is all that is available on that excel document.

Humphries Jewell 35768731 Pfc K116 8-Jul-44 fr dy to hosp SWA

Humphries Jewell 35768731 Pfc K116 15-Jul-44 aptd Sgt

Humphries Jewell 35768731 Sgt K116 19-Jul-44 fr hosp SWA to dropped fr rolls

Vr

Peg6

Humphries' laundry number would have been H-8731. It is tough to tell from the small pic on the facebook page, but I'm honestly not sure that number sequence is even a laundry #. I've found all sorts of random numbers in WWII clothing and gear, some of which defy identification. Unit IDs, roster numbers....any number of possibilities. IMO there is no way you can definitively link that series of numbers with Humphries. It is certainly a possibility, but nowhere near a rock solid ID.

post-110-0-20202300-1570987934_thumb.jpg

Humphries' laundry number would have been H-8731. It is tough to tell from the small pic on the facebook page, but I'm honestly not sure that number sequence is even a laundry #. I've found all sorts of random numbers in WWII clothing and gear, some of which defy identification. Unit IDs, roster numbers....any number of possibilities. IMO there is no way you can definitively link that series of numbers with Humphries. It is certainly a possibility, but nowhere near a rock solid ID.

Kadet,

Here is a better photograph for you. Its a little tricky as the placement and fold of it which* one must keep in mind when looking at it when I try to flatten out the not flat webbing as it was applied. But to me and its past owners, pretty clear "H-731". Not sure what else makes sense to you? for marking the inside of a helmet liner, except your last digit and last 3 cause thats the space he had... cause first 3 of last 4 H-873 is not how anyone would or has done it. I'm not trying to validate its authenticity by posting it here for opinions; otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it, and If I had doubts, I would have posted it in the "Is it real section". Being said I do appreciate your opinion of which yours amongst many are most valued.

In this case, as I have shown with full fidelity, and having it in my own hands vs the crap pictures this will allow, or any photo I can post here or on FB as provided, or to the European Advance photos. I have it in hand physically to view all the aspects. I have shown the evidence is there, both as an authentic 29th division helmet, with an unpainted liner (typical to 3rd BN 116th) with an authentic L#, matching Humphries, found in a place that Humphries is by fact known to have been at, with a good chain of custody, and all of the supporting factual documents to his service. when 1+2+3+4+5 = 15 I generally don't have concerns; I've shown all of the variables...Don't know what more can be shared... I don't have a time machine.

In the face of this, as a fellow collector, what would do it for ya Kadet? Out of curiosity?

VR

Peg6

post-174294-0-22903600-1570989625_thumb.jpg

Regardless of the section you post it in, outside of the sales section, you are going to get opinions - and jinkies, even sometimes there.

There are a bunch of historians and researchers here, who live in rosters, rolls, and after-action reports, and are quite familiar with positive identification techniques.

I agree with Kadet, regarding the connection between whatever is stenciled on that suspension, and a particular soldier. Attributing equipment to a service member is a pursuit of proving positives - as negatives are logically far trickier. :)

All said, it is a super-cool helmet, and if you are happy with it, that is what matters. While you asked Kadet, I will say that a full unique name, full ASN, even last name with unit, will generally prove out. I will re-read the topic, as I have possibly missed something.

Sorry, I missed your question to me at the end of the comment. Full name, full ASN, last name and a clear laundry number and even a clear, distinct laundry number coupled with rosters and other data points can all be conclusive IMO. The numbers in the webbing aren't conclusive to me, and in fact the larger images make me think the first letter is actually a stenciled "K". It looks to me like K-731. The meaning of this is anyone's guess.

I agree with Dean, I did not even get to the point of deciphering the numbers, as I was still stuck on it not being a full LN#. Looks like a K for sure.

The last number could also be a 6, as the left side of the stencil for that and a zero are the same.

So, a partial laundry number, with at least 20 possible resolutions, probably creates 1500+ prospective soldiers. And that is assuming it is a laundry number, and not something else.

Again, neat helmet, but understand the level of certainty most collectors - we here - require to deem an item as positively identified.

K-730 I would say

Well gents, as always I appreciate the opinions good and bad. The frustrating fact is this post is likely going to come across wrong.

The amount of hours over years spent piecing together the story of this Soldier is not countable, and its not just been my time its been my time on top of previous collectors research which I was provided. Its a the whole picture not just a Laundry # stamp, its not just the helmet, its not just the liner, its not just where it was found, its not just the condition of the helmet, none of it all came together with a this is who this Soldier was or this was the story molded to fit... I mentioned it before everything has to be taken and reviewed independently. Having it and hand, having done a large amount of the research, I said it before 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15.

So, we are going to have to agree to disagree on some things, my last go of pointing out some things. For some it will be what it will be.

1. Its a slightly awkward stamp due to it being pressed onto a surface that's not pressed against something. It still reads H - 731 stencil font when not unfolded as flush as I could get it, as it wasn't stamped at the awkwardness of flattening it out. It shows why its got some awkward bends and also ink consistency not equally dark everywhere. I'll say it again this one for some you apparently need to have in hand.

2. Dean- Regards the "1" There's no ink to the right of what you see into the tie, eliminating 0 pretty well, due to the dark nature of the stamp, why bother depressing half a 0 Stamp if 0 was the last digit.

3. Blacksmith, 0 results pull for any laundry numbers that would have "K" 731 just to humor #'s again. And the plausible is last 3 or last 4 of a # are used. Its truly the only part of LN or SSN that America has ever used makes sense.

4. Kadet- 4,442 posts on this forum; I'd think you could do us all some better knowledge. Regards to full ID's wouldn't it be wonderful if all GI's/Marines stamped everything with the idea that it would be needed to validate its authenticity + a blood sample, and fingerprint. Why do any of us bother doing any research at all for your standard. 99% of anything even in todays military no "webbing or equipment has that". "The meaning is anyone's guess" really... care to elaborate? I think to myself.... What might a Letter with a - and #'s following it be on a piece of individual equipment...? hmm specifically a Helmet liner, visible to a Soldier when laying on the ground, for another soldier to see... on a WWII M1 Helmet hmmm " it could be anything?"..... really.... hmm It seems to me nearly every helmet Marine or Soldier marks their helmets in WWII in a fashion this way!? yep that's it... Sorry for the sarcasm but your leaving it out there.... I'm sincere, what else could it plausibly be?

5. So I'm happy to share, and more photos of whatever anyone would like. And at the end here some of us will just have to agree to disagree as always is the case. And thus the issue with sharing anything into the public eye as blacksmith is correct. In this case again, the amount of time that went into the research, and what the research has shown is consistent. Nobody has tried to force the parts of the puzzle, there was no hypothesis set in the beginning to prove, only sorting out based on each part viewed independent, and then at the end it all points to the same conclusion. As presented in that fashion, it is my belief this is Jewell Humphries M1, lost on 8 July when he was badly wounded by Artillery fire. His helmet lay where it fell as he fell with a sucking chest wound, North of SADE... That helmet sat for a while outside before being picked up by a local from SADE, and ultimately into the hands of well known collectors...

Sincerely,

Peg6

You are obviously trying to shoot the messenger here. I also suspect you are attempting to insult me, so this will be my last post on the topic. Researching named WWII artifacts, uniforms in particular is really my hobby. I have spent thousands of hours transposing names, letters and numbers in to rosters and morning reports. Sometimes getting a match is a matter of degrees and percentages. It is not always black and white. I have listed some of the things that would cause me to say "yes, that is a match". I've run across other cases where I just have to say "that is PROBABLY a match, but I don't know for sure". In the case of your helmet, you have a letter/number sequence that IMO begins with a "K", followed by three digits that happen to be the same three contained in the ASN of the man you want, whose last name began with "H". Interesting helmet and interesting research, but the two have no logical connection.

With regards to the OP Pegasus6 I know he would have done his homework on this piece before presenting it here.

The stamp is difficult to read so there will always be different opinions on numbers and letters.

I respect the work thats been done by him on this piece and I love the look of the helmet

- Dean