Hi

crazyfingers

I would like to say hi.

I registered here because my son ran into this excellent topic http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/278728-two-months-and-two-generations-to-eternity-the-shanes-the-shark-ss-174-and-a-sampson/ on my Great Grandfather Shane and my Grandfather Shane.

I've had an on and off interest in furthering the genealogy that I had already received from my great uncle and from a far distant relative. Most recently I and my kids have been learning more about my great grandfather. And sadly only this past August my father died and I am now the keeper of various family Naval items and documents to save for future generations.

I posted photos in the topic above of some of the items I am now responsible for keeping safe.

I have always had an interest in WWI and WWI from the naval side. I expect that comes from my family history.

I expect that I'll be posting photos in the appropriate forums to help me to identify and understand context of various Naval antiques passed down in the family to me.

I expect also that at some point I will need to transport the antique firearms from my parent's house to mine. I will almost certainly want to contact my local police to find out if I need to get a permit to keep them. And to do that I will want to know what they all are.

Here is another example of an item that I am now responsible for keeping for family posterity.

post-260284-0-59158600-1570825305_thumb.jpg

howdy

that's a 30-40 krag

model of 1898, I believe. if it's a real carbine it's rather rare but I have no idea what the market is for these rifles. I have a krag rifle that was cut down into a carbine but I understand that not many actual carbines were made.

If the other firearms are like that, or handguns, in most states it is no issue to transport unloaded as long as they are in the rear/trunk and cased (like in the case you have shown). Usually pretty easy to find any specific regulations online, vs needing to contact the locals.

howdy

that's a 30-40 krag

model of 1898, I believe. if it's a real carbine it's rather rare but I have no idea what the market is for these rifles. I have a krag rifle that was cut down into a carbine but I understand that not many actual carbines were made.

I don't know carbine or not. I'm pretty sure it's standard issue for Spanish American war. Whatever that would be.

But I'll be posting a bunch in the right forum...once I figure out what one that is....

Thanks

If the other firearms are like that, or handguns, in most states it is no issue to transport unloaded as long as they are in the rear/trunk and cased (like in the case you have shown). Usually pretty easy to find any specific regulations online, vs needing to contact the locals.

Altogether there are 5 guns that I expect are at least a hundred years old. But I'll see what folks here can tell me.