Hello

SirPuma

I'm Marcus. I'm not really much of a collector. I have a number of patches and insignia from when I was in the Air Force. Mostly I got at some point a pin that I am absolutely flummoxed by. I'm hoping the people here can tell me what it is. I'll post about it in the appropriate section.

Puma

• 4 weeks later...

This is the write-up about the badges I have that I was unable to post before.

Hello, I am not really a collector per se of military insignia, Anyway, I would like to share a small collection I do have and would like to know what any of you might think of it. Everyone knows Vanguard bought out NS Meyer, and that occurred around 2000. Back in 97 I acquired some insignia directly from NS Meyer. I have included some photos. This is a complete new/unissued set of NS Meyer astronaut wings, air force and navy, along with various other insignia. Everything you see is how I received them, aside from being inside plastic sleeves that are not shown. I have found some interesting things about the astronaut wings. First, the CMD Pilot and Sr Pilot wings are silver filled and the astronaut emblem is a separate piece affixed to the wings, whereas, the pilot astronaut wings are a one-piece and are not silver filled stated and seem to have a flaw: There seems to have been some grinding done prior to final finish and stamping as well as a mark (not shown) where it is obvious a pin post was misapplied and removed. The navy astronaut wings are marked V-21-N and the regular navy pilot wings are marked M-22-N. So I take that to mean the navy astronaut wings acquired directly from NS Meyer and affixed to an NS Meyer backing as acquired from NS Meyer are Vanguard produced wings (interesting). The navy astronaut emblem is separate and affixed to the wings like the air force CMD and Sr wings.

Again, I would like to reiterate that I was in direct contact with Frances N at NS Meyer and received these items directly from that rep, along with the letters shown and one of the shipping boxes is shown. I was working on a special project that did not come to fruition. Anyway, these items have been in that box basically since 1997.

Now having come to the realization that NS Meyer items are no longer produced, and that NS Meyer is arguably top tier, and these are brand new (never issued), and absolutely genuine astronaut wings (silver filled on CMD and Sr), I am wondering what a budding young astronaut would pay for such finery. Authenticity and "newness" are not debatable. I am the Meyer that is referenced in the letter. Anyone care to chime in about this set? I would love to hear some feedback and perhaps learn some things I am probably unaware of regarding how those two companies merged. Again, I am no expert in these matters

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from a new member. My father, Raymond Francis Kennedy, was in the Flying Goldbricks, VMSB 243, in WWII and in the Black Sheep,VMF 214, in the Korean Conflict. He died on a training mission in Cherry Point, NC in 1952 and is buried at Arlington. I became a pilot and flew for the airlines for 30+ years and my nephew continues the tradition by also flying for the airlines. Quite by accident we found pages from my father's logbook on this website and would love to get it back. The Flying Goldbricks have a great website with pictures of my father and the bases in the Western Pacific.