Unknown Pen US Air Force

Forrest2016

post-162682-0-24739300-1570731442.jpgHello together,

we found this unknown pen.

Unfortunately we can´t find something about in the www.

Perhapts you can help.

Please look the picture. Us Air Force. Jefferson Barracks Mo / Buy War Bonds.
Sorry I have problems to load more pictures and cant delete the double.

Thanks for further information....

Best Regards.

Forrest

post-162682-0-83949500-1570731589.jpg

post-162682-0-09435200-1570731642.jpg

This was likely a PX item at Jefferson Barracks during WW2 but MIGHT have been a War Bond give-away too. Buy a bond - get a pen. You can find a lot on Jefferson if you do a google search. I believe it was an Army induction center for draftees during WW2 but it was also an Army Air Force Technical training center. Neat piece!

Great find, I collect some items related to JB in the WWII era. Agreed this is a PX purchased pen or pencil (it looks like it could be either, some of the early mechanical pencils looked like a pen, you had to rotate part of it to move the lead.). There were several PX's at JB during WWII, so it is impossible to know which one sold it. In the 1930s the base was commanded for a time by Walter Short (better known for commanding the Army forces in Hawaii in 1941). Elements of the 6th Infantry were stationed there until the eve of WWII. It became a USAAF training center before the Pearl Harbor attack, but also housed a reception camp (1772) at the north end of the post. The base closed in 1946 ending over 100 years of historical service. In the early 1940s there was an aggressive expansion of the facilities, and hundreds of new buildings were erected. After WWII they dismantled some (sold to civilians) and moved others whole (a church comes to mind). By the 1950s the majority of the wooden buildings constructed during WWII were demolished and cleared. By the late 1960s most of the land was turned into a park, although several of the permanent pre-WWII buildings remain.

To me it appears to be an early mechanical pencil but it would help to see more of it.

Thank you for your answer.

Here a picture after cleaning.

Best Regards

You're welcome - you did a magnificent job cleaning it up! Where / how did you find it?

My grandfather enlisted in the army at Jefferson Barracks for service in the "war to end all wars!" Jefferson Barracks was there well before World War I.

Allan

Thanks for your post.

The pen was found by a friend in a foxhole not very deep in the west of germany near aachen. Battle of Huertgen Forrest.
Very cool thing because personal and rare. We didn´t found something similar in the www.