Richard Keith Gillespie, Iwo Jima.

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

Richard Keith Gillespie, USMCR.

Richard Keith Gillespie was born September 27, 1924 in Chariton County, Missouri to Joseph and Lala Gillespie. Growing up, Gillespie was a mechanic when he was not involved in his studies, which he finished in 1943. On February 28, 1944 Richard Keith Gillespie was inducted as a private in the United States Marine Corps Reserves out of Kansas City, Missouri, the city his family was living in at the time. After his induction in the Marine Corps, Gillespie was sent to San Diego, California to complete his basic training.

post-13708-0-21335400-1570729191.jpeg

On May 12, 1944, Richard Keith Gillespie was assigned to the Services and Supply Company, 5th Service Battalion of the 5th Marine Division. On September 19th, 1944 the Division boarded the SS John B. Floyd and sailed for Hawaii where they arrived 9 days later. On January 7, 1945, Richard Keith Gillespie and the rest of the 5th Marine Division boarded the USS Talladega and set sail for the Island of Iwo Jima in the Pacific Ocean.

On February 19, 1945 the 5th Marine Division landed on the island of Iwo Jima. Getting pinned down and bunching up on the beach, the 5th Marine Division initially sustained heavy casualties and would suffer the most casualties of the three Marine Divisions that were fighting on the island. Despite these struggles, the 5th Marine Division would distinguish itself and be awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions on Iwo Jima.

Richard Keith Gillespie as a member of the 5th Marine Division, landed on the Island of Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945 and supported his fellow Marines in their fight on the volcanic island. On February 23, 1945, members of the United States Marine Corps raised an American flag on the top of an extinct volcano known as Mount Suribachi that towers over Iwo Jima. It was the previous day, before the famous flag raising, that Richard Keith Gillespie was shot in the neck. Richard Keith Gillespie was killed on the Island of Iwo Jima February 22, 1945 at 20 years old.

post-13708-0-17601800-1570729175.jpeg

post-13708-0-62902200-1570729200.jpeg

Initially buried in the 5th Marine Division Cemetery on the island of Iwo Jima, Plot 3, Row 1, Grave 616, his mother had Gillespie reinterred at the Grandview Cemetery in Albany, Missouri.

• 4 months later...
tdogchristy90

Bump for the anniversary. Coincidentally my birthday is today which is what led to my interest in the battle. As I said before, I am very proud to honor Gillespie. This document will forever hold a high place in my home.

RIP Marine.