Why didn't they make them?

5thwingmarty

We have the thread with wings that are more uncommon that it seams like they should be, so I thought I would start one listing wings that I don't believe were made by specific manufacturers. Please add others that you have wondered about. My first nominations are:

Lampl/Juarez - Navigator wing (yes, he who shall not be named sells them, but does anyone have a real one?)

Josten - Observer (clutch back with the hallmark on a wing at an angle like many of their wings)

Bell - Service Pilot in the accepted pattern (rounded shoulders with three notches on each shoulder, clear and obvious wood grain appearing feather details, and not made by modifying a basic Pilot wing)

Bell - Liaison Pilot in the accepted pattern (as described for the Service Pilot)

What others do you all think should be on such a list?

Marty

I may be wrong (I'm new - cut me some slack), but I've seen Blackinton 1st Luxenberg pattern Bombardiers, but never a Pilot. Are there Blackinton 1st Luxenberg pattern Pilots, or is it just elusive to me?

Art

I believe it was Blackinton that made the "second pattern" Luxenberg wings, and those wings can be found with either companies' hallmark or no company hallmark. This would be true for all of the types of wings (pilot, bombardier, etc.). I don't believe there is definitive proof as to what order the various Luxenberg patterns were made. I also don't think it has been definitively shown what company made the "first pattern" Luxenberg wings. There are some good threads where this is all discussed on the forum.

There are some specialty wings from Beverlycraft such as the flight engineer and radio operator wings that make me wonder why I haven't seen the following :

Senior Pilot

Command Pilot

Flight Surgeon

Flight Nurse

I believe it was Blackinton that made the "second pattern" Luxenberg wings, and those wings can be found with either companies' hallmark or no company hallmark. This would be true for all of the types of wings (pilot, bombardier, etc.). I don't believe there is definitive proof as to what order the various Luxenberg patterns were made. I also don't think it has been definitively shown what company made the "first pattern" Luxenberg wings. There are some good threads where this is all discussed on the forum.

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure Blackinton made what is referred to a "First Pattern" Bombardier, at least in 2 inch, so I'd assume they made 3 inch as well, I just haven't seen them. But even if my assumption is wrong and they never made 3 inch, go figure why they made 2 inch Bombardiers but not Pilots. Or are they just so scarce you don't see them? (rhetorical question)

Art

post-168413-0-19571700-1570756941_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-29361800-1570756942_thumb.jpg

Hello Art,

I believe that beautiful two-inch Blackinton hallmarked Bombardier badge you're sharing with us is the same design many collectors associate with a "second-pattern" Luxenberg.

Here's a comparison image of a two-inch first-pattern Luxenberg and a Blackinton hallmarked badge nearly identical to yours. Although very similar at first glance, they are distinctly different upon closer exam.

Russ

2 inch Lux Blackinton.jpg

2 inch Lux Blackinton back.jpg

rustywings: W O W! This is complicated stuff! I DEFINATELY need more books and better eyes! Thank you for opening them. Now you want to see the funny part? This is mine too and I never even noticed the difference between these and my Blackintons!!!

Art

post-168413-0-83081400-1570768307_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-68812000-1570768308_thumb.jpg

I wonder why L.G. Balfour produced two handsome variants of their large shield Service Pilot badges, but no large shield Liaison Pilot or Glider Pilot badges?

LGB Service Pilots.jpg