Mystery Patch ID Needed: 34th Division Iraq Variation

Joe McKinney

PacificGunner

I believe it is a theater made 34th Infantry Division patch, as the shape of the patch as well as the shape of the skull are the same shape as regular 34th ID patches. The only difference is the color and the "A." Perhaps the solder was an artilleryman, or in company A of one of the regiments

BILL THE PATCH

The black back looks British made to me, and the British did make tons of 34th's but I've never seen one like this. Did you check it under a black light by any chance for shyte and giggles.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

100% Middle Eastern theatre made, have many with similar construction I picked up while over there. Will post some pics as I dig them out.

First up are the known Kuwaiti and Iraqi made 34ths in my collection. As you can see the reverse, especially the embroidery of the bull is very similar.

The 4th photo is a known Afghan theatre made, the front looks similar to the one you have.

Finally there is a 1st ID that shows a similar cloth stabilizer and a more pronounced edge.

If this were a WWII British made piece I would expect to see the entire patch embroidered

post-5665-0-97860200-1570663025.jpg

post-5665-0-43561200-1570663033.jpg

post-5665-0-45299600-1570663042.jpg

post-5665-0-43522800-1570663264.jpg

post-5665-0-48863100-1570663272.jpg

Drew's right on with this one, I haven't seen this example of the Red Bull with "A" but have and seen numerous with unit designations with this same pattern of embroidery and background material. Well used but a nice patch..

Thanks for the kind words George, I look over my herd and I'm always looking to add to it.

For once my connections in the modern 34th Division have not yielded an example of this, nor a solid ID on the A. With two Brigade Combat Teams that have both deployed there is a lot of A combos.

It reminds me of this piece I found at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait in 2012. The one depicted is about the size of a US Quarter and have yet to decipher the B meaning.

post-5665-0-73921100-1570681440_thumb.jpg

Can anyone identify this patch? It is similar to the 34th Infantry Division patch and is about the same size.

Hi Joe

This could possibly be related to Co A 1/194th c 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/34th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)#Iraq

I base this on DCU colour (2005-2006 ACU 2006-)) non Velcro'd patch,the crude machine guided and construction,which is normal for early made patches.

One point to note, individual units/elements were attached to other commands(Modular Brigade concept era), so one has to do a lot of research to identify where,when, colour ie DCU/ACU/MC to address which uniform patches were worn etc...

That might help,however "A" could refer to any element of the 34th during that time period.

It makes ID patches extremely difficult from 2001-2010 and its not that long ago!

Phill

Hi Joe

This could possibly be related to Co A 1/194th c 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/34th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)#Iraq

I base this on DCU colour (2005-2006 ACU 2006-)) non Velcro'd patch,the crude machine guided and construction,which is normal for early made patches.

One point to note, individual units/elements were attached to other commands(Modular Brigade concept era), so one has to do a lot of research to identify where,when, colour ie DCU/ACU/MC to address which uniform patches were worn etc...

That might help,however "A" could refer to any element of the 34th during that time period.

It makes ID patches extremely difficult from 2001-2010 and its not that long ago!

Phill

Phil,

I was part of HHC 1-194 from mid 2008 until I got out in 2015. I talked at length with officers, NCOs and enlisted soldiers about patches and uniforms worn. None of the unit members on the deployment I talked to remembered buying or wearing theatre made patches. in fact many could only recall wearing ACU's with a mixture of Desert gear like Molle punches. I have seen photos of some elements of 1-194 wearing DCU's during a welcome home ceremony but that was in a newspaper.

I live in the heart of Red Bull country and rarely find DCU uniforms, even when actively searching. You can ask the guys that live in neighboring states, hard as heck to come across. I have only two uniforms that I could identify. One was to an A Co. 1/194 guy but both patches on the uniform are US made. The other was to a 216th ADA guy and this paperwork in the pocket said he was with D Co. plenty of National Guard units in the 34th were called up for duty during the desert phase so the possibilities are out there. I have numerous unnamed DCU's with a 34th on the left sleeve and another unit on the right.

I would very much like to see this patch, and add it to my collection, but my guess is that this will never be known unless a grouping is found. My instinct is also that this was a piece made not for wear on a uniform but as a souvenir type which was common even when I went over in 2011.

My two thoughts from a guy who was in the 34th, and actively collects it.

Hi ASMIC

Good to know your background and appreciate your service and to the ASMIC community.

As I commented could be. I would say that it is crudely made sew on and we know that transition from DCU to ACU started 2005-2006(possibly earlier) period.

One area I find difficult to navigate is the transition period of uniform changes and the use and wear of the coloured changes of theatre made SSI.

Below one from Iraq ,I cannot put a date on this, its crudely made (2007-2009?).

The thread is either faded or only colour that the sew shop came close to ACU?

I have a 25th ID very similar colour.

Phill

post-7582-0-46005400-1570745662.jpg

post-7582-0-68923200-1570745676.jpg

JerseyDevil117

Hi ASMIC

Good to know your background and appreciate your service and to the ASMIC community.

As I commented could be. I would say that it is crudely made sew on and we know that transition from DCU to ACU started 2005-2006(possibly earlier) period.

One area I find difficult to navigate is the transition period of uniform changes and the use and wear of the coloured changes of theatre made SSI.

Below one from Iraq ,I cannot put a date on this, its crudely made (2007-2009?).

The thread is either faded or only colour that the sew shop came close to ACU?

I have a 25th ID very similar colour.

Phill

On the thread color subject, it is probably a mix of both. A lot of the subdued military thread colors are not the easiest to find unless you have a big operation going.

Thanks for all of the help with my patch. And thanks for sharing the photos. You all have some really nice examples in your collections.

Joe