Crash sites Belgium 1943 - 1944

Bram1940

Hello,

As a new member, I want to start with the following question. A few years ago, I received a M-3 trench knife that was believed to have been left behind by a pilot that escaped his crashed airplane (whether by parachute or after a crash landing). The pilot was probably helped by farmers in our village. However, I never heard anything about it besides from the older man that gave me the knife. I believe the knife could be dated end of 1943 of 1944 (the guard is maker marked Camillus, scabbard is an USM8 with marking B 2/1 N).

So does anybody have an idea of crashed airplanes in the vicinity of Boutersem, Willebringen, Honsem, Beauvechain (Bevekom) or Neervelp (Located between Louvain (Leuven) and Tirlemont (Tienen))? The older man believed he encoutered two crashed airplanes in the vicinity of his home during the war.

Many thanks for the much appreciated support.

Best regards,

Bram.

USCapturephotos

Good luck in your search Bram. Some of the 8th Air force museums in England or the main 8th Museum in Savannah Georgia, USA may be able to help with your search. Not sure where the archives of the 9th AAF could be found.

Paul