Mint unissued WWII US M1905-1E O.L. 1943 dated bayonet

6th.MG.BN

My 10" M1 dated OL weighs 15.2 oz. I was only trying to point out the similarities on the eBay auction. I stand behind my statement that I think your bayonet is a darn nice reproduction. If someone can prove otherwise, I'll retract my statement.

You have been a gentleman communicating with me, and I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Try looking at a couple of things. See if there is an OL stamp on the guard, also take the handle off and see if OL is stamped on the bayonet catch (the long bar). These places are usually stamped by the maker. SKIP

Well I'll be dipped! When you look at it closely, it is clearly different. Aside from what has been mentioned, the 1943 is totally off center to the right.

Marv

My 10" M1 dated OL weighs 15.2 oz. I was only trying to point out the similarities on the eBay auction. I stand behind my statement that I think your bayonet is a darn nice reproduction. If someone can prove otherwise, I'll retract my statement.

You have been a gentleman communicating with me, and I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Chuck,

I believe that if someone post something on this forum it is open to discussion. So far there are more signs of it being a repro versus a real period one. It is very scary how well it is made. The only thing that tilts the scales is the font and minor details. The construction of it is spot on!

Ken

Try looking at a couple of things. See if there is an OL stamp on the guard, also take the handle off and see if OL is stamped on the bayonet catch (the long bar). These places are usually stamped by the maker. SKIP

Skiph,

I did get a chance to pull the grips off yesterday. No markings at all. Interesting in that there was cosmoline under the grips which could be the reason there was more noise coming the other cutdown bayonet I had on hand to compare it to.

Ken

Well I'll be dipped! When you look at it closely, it is clearly different. Aside from what has been mentioned, the 1943 is totally off center to the right.

Marv

Marv,

I don't think the "1943" is totally off center as much as the "US" is skewed to the right a little and the 1943 to the left.

Ken

As time goes by this hobby doesn't get any easier. IMHO, over the last few years I've see a few examples where the markings look rather compelling, but other signs in the manufacture of the item ruled it out very quickly from being original.

It's nice to have a place where many eye's can look over what's out there. Sometimes it clears things up pretty fast, sometimes it gives us more to think about.

As time goes by this hobby doesn't get any easier. IMHO, over the last few years I've see a few examples where the markings look rather compelling, but other signs in the manufacture of the item ruled it out very quickly from being original.

It's nice to have a place where many eye's can look over what's out there. Sometimes it clears things up pretty fast, sometimes it gives us more to think about.

Rodger that. I think 9 out of 10 dealers would pick this bayonet off a table at a show on Friday night with the "sellers light" that illuminates the tables. Without the aid of reference books or internet to compare the minor differences in font/ stamping, you could not tell by weight or the good quality of construction.

I'm not into this for a king's ransom so I hope the best thing that comes out of this another learning curve for all to gain more knowledge from.

If this had been stamped with the right markings we wouldn't even know they were infiltrating the ranks of US bayonets.

Ken

Interesting topic! I was just wondering: Is the finish of the blade different from that on the crossguard and pommel, or is it just the picture that makes the blade seem more deep black? Could it have been made from a Greek M1 bajonet?

Just to pile on the praise, an OL dated M1 in that condition is very scarce. I have never seen one as nice as yours. There are a few theories as to how they got dated. The most likely is that the manufacturers used their dated dies until they wore out before switching to the un-dated die.

Then how do you explain the "not dated" cut down bayonets?

Just to pile on the praise, an OL dated M1 in that condition is very scarce. I have never seen one as nice as yours. There are a few theories as to how they got dated. The most likely is that the manufacturers used their dated dies until they wore out before switching to the un-dated die.

Then how do you explain the "not dated" cut down bayonets?

That's a very good question. In some cases you'll find that the date is stuck under the cross guard, but in other cases there is simply no date at all. Yes, there are examples with no date.

Here's a possible theory. I think the cut down process actually happened a short time AFTER the true M1s were adopted and went into production. If that is the case, there is a possibility that the new dies (with no dates) were put into action a little early, as some manufacturers finished up their long M1905 contracts, stamping the last few with the new, dateless dies. Just a theory.

Marv