Mint unissued WWII US M1905-1E O.L. 1943 dated bayonet

6th.MG.BN

Going trough some boxes and found this beauty so I thought I'd share it. Unissued WWII US M1905 1E bayonet with O.L. 1943 blade marking.

The blade still has cosmoline on a lot of it. Parked finish rates 95%+, being conservative. No other markings on blade, cross guard or tang.

Ken

post-20163-0-29172100-1570554996_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

That is a great looking blade, and fairly scarce as well. It is actually an M1 bayonet rather than an M1905E1 as your pics demonstrate that the blade is not a shortened M1905.

Our friend and guidepost here, the late Gary Cunningham aka Bayonetman, reported that only 15,000 M1 bayonets were contracted for from Oneida.

Regards,

Charlie

That is a great looking blade, and fairly scarce as well. It is actually an M1 bayonet rather than an M1905E1 as your pics demonstrate that the blade is not a shortened M1905.

Our friend and guidepost here, the late Gary Cunningham aka Bayonetman, reported that only 15,000 M1 bayonets were contracted for from Oneida.

Regards,

Charlie

CHarlie,

Your right about it being a M1. My bad.

Ken

Ken- Fully concur with Charlie, it's an M1 bayonet. But what's even better is the fact it is a dated M1 bayonet. Kinda hard to find these since few were produced before they stopped dating them. In what looks like original mint condition, doesn't get better than tha. THX for showing all of us. SKIP

Ken- Fully concur with Charlie, it's an M1 bayonet. But what's even better is the fact it is a dated M1 bayonet. Kinda hard to find these since few were produced before they stopped dating them. In what looks like original mint condition, doesn't get better than tha. THX for showing all of us. SKIP

Thanks, my pleasure.

Ken

Just to pile on the praise, an OL dated M1 in that condition is very scarce. I have never seen one as nice as yours. There are a few theories as to how they got dated. The most likely is that the manufacturers used their dated dies until they wore out before switching to the un-dated die.

Very nice M1. Thanks for showing us.

Marv

Actually it was my bad...phone brightness. The tip disappeared making it look like a E1, not an M1. Still nice, and I also have one of these rare M1 OL. My guard is beat up a bit, though. Your example is really pristine. Sorry about the misinformation I posted.

ChuckC

My server is down this morning, but when it comes back up Ill post pics of 3 of my OLs 1 Uncut 10 M1 and 2 Spearpoint (1 was sold recently). Your OL looked so different I decided to do some review. I have questions about your bayonet. The fuller is much different than not only any of mine, but also any other OL on the web other than reproductions. 1943 OL fullers have rounded ends (every single one Ive seen). Also, there should not be periods after U and S, and the font of the 3 in 1943 is different. You may also refer to Bayonet Points 23 for images. I hate to say it but I think your bayonet is a reproduction. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

ChuckC

I just checked out my blade dated OL M1 bayonets and none have a period after the U or the S, cant't figure that one out. If it's a repro it's a damn good one. I worked for Oneida Ltd. (OL). for thirty seven years. Mine are all 1942 dated. Not that I have seen everything. Pony.

I agree. I hesitated to say its a reproduction but I actually have 4, one being a 1943 M1905 16, and another M1 10 Uncut dated 1943. All references I checked this morning show the same flat top 3 and no periods. My servers are down and Im unable to post pics until later today but Im pretty confident its a darn good reproduction.

ChuckC,

Interesting observations. Not having any other "OL" bayonets offhand I checked online and indeed saw what you had concerns about. The flat headed three and the periods after the U and S.

All I could find on hand was a US M1e to compare it to. I weighed them for the hell of it. The OL came in at 15.7oz the cutdown AFH 1942 weighed 15.3oz. The difference could be in the cutdown process?

Also the flames look a little off?

Bottom line??? If the stamping is post WWII done, it could have been done on a real M1 bayonet because everything else matches up.

Looking at the markings I couldn't see any signs of grinding to allow for restamping.

I had found one article about repoped M1's with OL markings similar to this but the date had been stamped up higher from the cross guard from 2010, I think. They also mentioned rattling when shaken and a lesser quality finish.

Ken

post-20163-0-25425200-1570643217_thumb.jpg

See the link below for an ebay auction on another reproduction.

Also, I added the link to Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points #23. Scroll down to Markings Used by Oneida, Ltd. Oneida used the 2nd type Shell and Flame, with the flames coming to a point. These are the three different type markings used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-US-MILITARY-OL-US-1943-BAYONET/202792959433?hash=item2f3766fdc9:g:JC0AAOSwmINdl4VO

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_23.htm (credit Frank Trzaska's website)

See the link below for an ebay auction on another reproduction.

Also, I added the link to Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points #23. Scroll down to Markings Used by Oneida, Ltd. Oneida used the 2[/size]nd type Shell and Flame, with the flames coming to a point. [/size]These are the three different type markings used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-US-MILITARY-OL-US-1943-BAYONET/202792959433?hash=item2f3766fdc9:g:JC0AAOSwmINdl4VO

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_23.htm (credit Frank Trzaska's website)

Chuck,

To be fair the bayonet on ebay has some different markings than mine. date is up higher from cross guard. There is a period after the "L" and the flaming bomb has an inner circle and different flame top.

Ken