10th Mtn Div DSC, SS, PH group w. Uniforms Denver native

ludwigh1980

" Look for me among the Columbines and whispering pines."

To begin, some artifacts evoke such a deep reverence, its hard to find words to describe, so I will let the pictures exhibit this group. A little back ground, several months ago I received a post card advertisement of a local auction. Mentioned a extensive WW2 group with the hint of pictures on the companies website. I scrolled the listings. Came across a framed group of three metals with the officers name. Called the auctioneer. Case that housed the medals were sealed so the backs were un-available for viewing. Included boxes, paperwork, and the officers uniforms in period suitcases. All coming from the family and an estate that had been sealed off for three years. Oddly I paid more for the uniforms than the medals as the group was sold in lots. Later I was able to determine that the young Lieutenant's wife had received his medals after his death and had preserved the group as well as every correspondence the sent to each other up until his death. The uniform in the suitcase that was mailed home to her after his death as well as a box of personal effects. She remarried however one could tell this was the love of her life and she would continue to keep a picture of him in view at her home. They had not had a chance to have children however in her 2nd marriage she did and upon disposing the estate, the now grownup children had no connection to these items, so they were let go. They were very helpful in helping me keep the group together. The cost of freedom paid in full by one of Colorado's own. Interestingly enough he was prior enlisted and went through OCS and was a late war replacement officer. He didn't even have time to sew on the 10th Mountain Division patch. The photographs of him in his dress uniform were taken in theater. i have not touched the correspondence as they are still tied in the original period twine. I will leave those between Mr. and Mrs. Baker.

post-23325-0-63012400-1570504784_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-59614500-1570504804_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-41592600-1570504834_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-82189600-1570504852_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-10484500-1570504901_thumb.jpg

Such a geat group..... a hero who did his duty to the full...... RIP.

I believe this really went to the right person who will honor this soldier’s memory.

Thank you everyone. Besides this group, this was one the more fascinating estate liquidations I had ever been part of. The family first consigned several items to a local auction house. Since I was the top bidder for several items, I was given the chance to "dig: through some of the un-touched estate. The now deceased widow had been from a prominent Denver family and we were going through trunks that had been packed in the 1920's. Some amazing antiques and vintage clothing came out of the estate. One of those events that don't come around very much anymore. A Very humble family and I about fell over when this group surfaced and that it was made available for purchase. The family was glad that some-one wanted to preserve it and honor it. The correspondence and many of the portraits were made available after they saw how important Lt. Baker's effects were to me. Truly a once in a life time find for me.

More...try as i might I could not get these to post up-right. They are a copy of one of LT. Baker's fellow soldier's letter to his wife describing the events that led to his mortal wounding.

post-23325-0-68645300-1570541559_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-81677400-1570541577_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-18556600-1570541594_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-27489100-1570541608_thumb.jpg

Brian Dentino

What a fantastic grouping to this officer that met a tragic end in service to our country! Glad you were able to keep it all together and that the family appreciated the significance of someone wanting to honor his memory and sacrifice. I have a great uncles PH that I have been looking for that was a similar situation. His wife at the time of his death received his items, including his posthumous medals. Se then remarried and had a family with her then husband. After she passed, I am hoping that Basil's stuff wasn't thrown out as her children had no connection to him at all.