M1 Garand related Question

jmd62

Hey guys,

Ive finally gotten to the point where I want to invest in an M1 Garand or even an M1 Carbine if the Garand doesnt pan out. Im looking for a Garand with at least a WW2 era receiver, stock and possibly barrel. In short, mostly WW2? I wanted to ask if there are any suggestions on good dealers online. I guess the CMP is an option, but Id rather know what I am getting.

Thanks!

James

the CMP is absolutely the best bang for the buck you're gonna find. go for a service grade and if you get a post war rifle you should be able to easily trade for a field grade wwii serial

now, if you want things like lock bar sights, uncut op rods and the like, you'll either have to pay a bunch of money up front for an original rifle or you'll have to pay a bunch of money in spurts trying to track those parts down

best source for all of the above is the cmp forums so it's pretty much a one stop shop

the CMP is absolutely the best bang for the buck you're gonna find. go for a service grade and if you get a post war rifle you should be able to easily trade for a field grade wwii serial

now, if you want things like lock bar sights, uncut op rods and the like, you'll either have to pay a bunch of money up front for an original rifle or you'll have to pay a bunch of money in spurts trying to track those parts down

best source for all of the above is the cmp forums so it's pretty much a one stop shop

Thanks, I will certainly think that over, thanks!

TexRdnec pretty much nailed it with that response. The CMP is a great place to buy from and well worth the hoops you have to jump through to join. Also, the Garand Collectors Association (https://thegca.org/) is a great resource and joining the GCA checks one of the requirement boxes with the CMP. If you decide to go the CMP route, it might be worth adding a "sticky note" to your order asking for a WWII serial number. The CMP customer service is excellent and they do try to honor simple requests like that. If you are really set on a WWII Garand with all WWII parts, buying through a dealer or private party would be your best option though. It would be a major long shot getting something like that luck of the draw from the CMP.

TexRdnec pretty much nailed it with that response. The CMP is a great place to buy from and well worth the hoops you have to jump through to join. Also, the Garand Collectors Association (https://thegca.org/) is a great resource and joining the GCA checks one of the requirement boxes with the CMP. If you decide to go the CMP route, it might be worth adding a "sticky note" to your order asking for a WWII serial number. The CMP customer service is excellent and they do try to honor simple requests like that. If you are really set on a WWII Garand with all WWII parts, buying through a dealer or private party would be your best option though. It would be a major long shot getting something like that luck of the draw from the CMP.

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

Check local Ordinances re: legality of the M1 rifle and carbine. They might be legal in the State but a city can still have an Ordinance. I've run into this in MA.

If your looking for correct WWII Garand make sure the stock, barrel and op rod is correct the hardest parts to find to make a M1 Garand correct is the correct stock, barrel and then uncut op rods.

My son recently received a M1 from the CMP. He added a note with his order requesting a WWII dated rifle if possible. They honored his request and sent him a wonderful Dec. 1942 dated Service grade rifle (throat 2, muzzle 1+), but with a new stock. That was not unexpected, though, as a majority of the M1's from the Philippines were infested and contaminated by asbestos run-off from a leaky roof. Even so, my son is ecstatic with his Garand. It's a beautiful piece of history.

It has already been said , But I'll say it also CMP!! Best Bang for your Buck. You will not find a better deal unless you have a dear friend who wants to sell his cheap.

CMP e-store is where you will want to start. There are some hoops to jump through but well worth it and not that hard. They are little hoops!!!

The info given by speeder3 is not the first time I have heard of this happening.

Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

They will mail it to your door!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil.

My son recently received a M1 from the CMP. He added a note with his order requesting a WWII dated rifle if possible. They honored his request and sent him a wonderful Dec. 1942 dated Service grade rifle (throat 2, muzzle 1+), but with a new stock. That was not unexpected, though, as a majority of the M1's from the Philippines were infested and contaminated by asbestos run-off from a leaky roof. Even so, my son is ecstatic with his Garand. It's a beautiful piece of history.

That's awesome, it sounds like they took good care of him : )

It has already been said , But I'll say it also CMP!! Best Bang for your Buck. You will not find a better deal unless you have a dear friend who wants to sell his cheap.

CMP e-store is where you will want to start. There are some hoops to jump through but well worth it and not that hard. They are little hoops!!!

The info given by speeder3 is not the first time I have heard of this happening.

Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

They will mail it to your door!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil.

Thanks Phil!

Besides the CMP I have picked up most of my M1 garands and carbines at either gun shows or shops. There really is no substitute for being able to handle the gun before you buy it and it will sometimes surprise you what you can find out in the wild. It is also always worth looking on gunbroker.com, it is a great site with a lot of quality rifles popping up all the time and it is relatively easy to buy from and ship to your local gun shop.