M-1905/1906 Saber Springfield Armory #25

derrbrad

Spathologist

Hi, derrbrad!

I hoped to have a little history to share, but your serial number is new to me. Can you tell us the blade length and describe the tip? Sharp and pointy, or kinda flat?

Nice find, though! Yours is in comparatively good shape. Congratulations!

Ha, I had hoped you might have something on this one, oh well. It's 32 inches in length. Out of curiosity how many serial numbers have you managed to record?

post-158932-0-15152000-1570509024_thumb.jpg

Spathologist

Thanks for the info and pic!

Yours is the 52nd serial number I've recorded. There are others out there who also collect serial numbers who might have some info, maybe they'll chime in.

The reason I asked about the tip is that Kellerstedt described two tips on these sabers; a "standard" point, and a "clipped" point. I think yours is a flattened clipped point.

I've attached a photo with the 3 types of points I've seen (and also the 3 lengths). The top is a standard point, the bottom is a clipped point. The middle is a flattened tip. I have two like that, #28 and #130. #28 is listed in an older reference as having a clipped point. The tips look to be hammered flat, and I originally thought perhaps the tip had broken and the end hammered out, but the blade length is exact, 32". I suspect that the flattened tips are actually clip points that were beaten out for some reason...in several sabers.

Enjoy your saber! The Springfields are rare finds!

post-1047-0-16349900-1570512214_thumb.jpg

Yep. That's why I included the pic. Didn't make sense to me that it was neither of the two known point styles. But good to know mine isn't the only one that looks like it. I've only ever handled 1 other Springfield made(Serial number was somewhere in the triple digits but been a long time), but the blade had been broken at some point and was about 6 inches shorter than it was supposed to be. So no help there. Thanks again.