KNUCKLE KNIFE DET 101 OSS MERRILLS MARAUDERS

flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan

Hi all,

Bought this Aussie knuckle knife out of an estate, saw that it had writing all over the sheath but was very dirty. When I got home and cleaned it up a little I was surprised to see what was there. Tried to clean very lightly so some I cannot make out. Down the front appears to be Marauders, B.A., 5307 Combat Team, Army Armstrong, "Tinker", Joplin MO, Det 101, OSS. On the back near top is Louis E. Reid, Marauders Burma, 5307, (then) Bastards 07, 5 May 1942, Bataan, PI, 31st Inf (then) Merrills Marauders (under that some signed names) Bill Irvin ? Timpy ? Leroy Olark ? Donald Carr 173 Ord, P.F. Both "Mitzie" ??? As I said very hard to make some out. Blade well worn. Interesting piece!

-Rob

post-19820-0-79801400-1570460235_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-01375300-1570460253_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-78997400-1570460270_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-16908600-1570460285_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-29800200-1570460299_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

Fan:

That is a neat knife and a neat sheath, but they did not start out the war together. There are several anomalies.

As you may know, the sheath appears to be a WW2 Mark 2 style sheath for the 7 inch Marine 1219c2 and Navy Mark 2 knives. The original sheaths which came with these knuckle knives was an entirely different design. I also think the knuckle knife blades were typically 6 inches rather than 7 inches.

It is also worth observing that the condition of the knife is much poorer than the sheath which actually looks to be in very nice condition. That is the reverse of what one usually encounters as leather sheaths were much less durable than the blades that came with them. Of course, I suppose that it is possible that the two could have been mated up during the war but we can definitely say that they did not start out together.

I don't know what to make of the writings on the sheath. It is hard to tell from this distance but it almost appears to me as if the writing is done in several different hands. It is also is noteworthy that the references are to some of the most famous units that fought in the CBI and PTO. It would be remarkable for one person to have served in all of those units.

This is pure speculation on my part but I am wondering if the writing was applied by different persons, perhaps at a gathering of WW2 veterans with each making a reference to his own unit. Perhaps a souvenir of sorts. Again, that is only a guess.

An interesting pair you have there. Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Charlie

I think you will find that knife is of New Zealand origin. Numerous U.S. troops past through N.Z. during WWII. Many at a camp very close to where I live. Chances are it was made at the railawy workshops Lower Hutt. (The Hutt being a river). The scabbard, as Charlie says is not original to the knife.