walika Posted October 6, 2019 Share #1 Posted October 6, 2019 VPB-148 LineageEstablished as Bombing Squadron ONE HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT (VB-148) on 16 August 1943.Redesignated Patrol Bombing Squadron ONE HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT (VPB-148) on 1 October 1944.Redesignated Patrol Squadron ONE HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT (VP-148) on 15 May 1946.Disestablished on 15 June 1946 at NAS Kaneohe, HI.AircraftAug 1943 | PV-1 VenturaJun 1945 | PV-2 HarpoonThe insignia submitted by the squadron in 1943 for CNO approval depicted a picture of a rabbit with a bomb tied to its back. CNO disapproved this design, stating “as several other naval aviation activities display insignia with rabbits as their motifs, it is believed that the design having a goat as its central character would be more appropriate.” VB-143 promptly complied and the new insignia design featured a goat with a bomb tied to its back. CNO approved the design on 27 November 1943. American embroidery. 16 Aug 1943–16 Jan 1944: VB-148 was established at NAS Alameda, Calif., as a medium bombing squadron flying the PV-1 Ventura.3–12 Feb 1944: VB-148 loaded its equipment, aircraft and personnel aboard Nehenta Bay (CVE 74) for transport to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The squadron arrived on 10 February and quickly unloaded and reassembled the aircraft for the short hop to NAS Kaneohe. Training under the operational control of FAW-2 began on 12 February.20 Mar 1944: VB-148 departed Kaneohe in three aircraft elements for Renard Field, Russell Islands, to relieve VB-140.3 Apr–May 1944: The squadron was sent to Munda, New Georgia, to provide fighter cover for C-47s carrying paratroops going into New Guinea. From this date until relieved, the squadron came under the operational control of FAW-1.The squadron remained at Munda until 20 May, when orders were received to relocate to Emirau. Twice daily long-range search and patrol missions to the western Carolines were coordinated with a destroyer squadron and CVE to pinpoint enemy dispositions and to conduct joint attacks against shipping. Two squadron aircraft were credited with downing two enemy twin engine bombers while on patrol.22 Oct–15 Dec 1944: VPB-148 was relieved at Emirau by a Royal New Zealand Air Force squadron for return to Kaneohe, arriving there on 31 October. Squadron personnel were put aboard Chenango (CVE 28) on 22 November, for return to the West Coast. After arriving at NAS Alameda, Calif., on 15 December, all hands were reclassified and given home leave.10 Jan–Apr 1945: VPB-148 was reformed at NAS Whidbey Island, Wash., under the operational control of FAW-6.30 May–16 Aug 1945: Personnel were loaded aboard Copahee (CVE 12) for transportation to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. After arrival on 5 June, the squadron was assigned 15 PV-2 Harpoons at NAS Kaneohe, coming under the operational control of FAW-2.A detachment of six aircraft was formed immediately and sent to Midway Island. A second detachment of three aircraft was flown to Johnston Island. Both detachments engaged in ASW patrols and long range searches in the vicinity of the islands. At NAS Kaneohe, the remainder of the squadron began the combat training syllabus. The detachments returned on 16 August 1945 to NAS Kaneohe to complete their portion of the combat training.Sep 1945: With the cessation of hostilities the squadron was left with little to do other than routine patrols in the vicinity of the Hawaiian islands.15 Jun 1946: VPB-148 was disestablished at NAS Kaneohe, Hawaii. Reference Roberts, Michael D. Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons. Vol. 2. pp 383-384. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now