KA-BAR QUESTIONS

bldrhouse

WWII Ka-Bar?

1. Do all USMC KA-BARs have "Oleans" stamped under the company name?

2. Does the blood grove look correct? Seems that the top is not parallel to the top of the blade, and the machining marks are too strong?

3. How about lettering of both USMC and KA-BAR?

4. The pommel IS thru-pinned; thoughts on the butt?

thanks, z

post-212241-0-63745300-1570324959_thumb.jpg

I can't answer your questions but there are people here who can and, I'm guessing, will. I can mention that Ka-Bar's plant location was Olean, NY at least for a time. These knife makers moved, merged, were bought out and changed names and it always amazes me that many of the military knife makers were located in a rather rural/small town area of western New York. Camillus ,however was just west of Syracuse in central New York.

While an overall picture would be great, I believe you have a legitimate WW2 era Union Cutlery made 1219C2.

For some reason, Union Cutlery omitted OLEAN NY from a run of the 1219C2s. No one knows specifically when this version was made, but it was after the change order went into effect changing the pommel construction from 3/8" thick and peened tight to 1/4" thick and through pinned.

I picked up Bill Walters books and according to him this is a 7th generation Kabar. I recommend the books. I've already referenced them multiple times and have not had them that long. This is the last of their USMC kabars and the last generation they made under government contract. From what I can see it appears to be correct. The one pictured in the book also has the steeper drop on the fuller, at the tip end. Maybe it's just the pictures, or me, but yours almost looks more blued then parkerized. Should be parkerized. If it is then it seems you have a pretty good condition late war blade.