Early HGU-55 Recon F-16 attributed

horridohutch

horridohutch

Been awhile since I have had anything worthwhile to post to the forum... but today I picked up an Air Force HGU-55 with a custom fit liner. Attributed to an F-16 Photo Recon driver Capt George Garcia, I dont think I will try to track him down after losing that VF-211 helmet. Its still in great condition for seeing its use back in the mid 90s. I like the custom visor cover, first I have seen like it. And as soon as I saw the form fit liner I knew that it was a high speed low drag helmet. I welcome any input and am seeing some great helmets as I surf the photos you all have posted.

post-133566-0-17595300-1570319322.jpg

post-133566-0-72085800-1570319333.jpg

post-133566-0-65634200-1570319345.jpg

post-133566-0-66698400-1570319358.jpg

post-133566-0-84063100-1570319370.jpg

• 1 year later...

Very nice helmet!  I also like the form fit liner!!

After your VF-211 helmet situation I don’t blame you for not tracking down this pilot!!

Chris

Nice catch indeed !

Also the first time I see such a custom visor cover. From what I see in the pics, it looks like it was made of fabric and entirely wraps the visor with velcro locking (unlike the usual leather covers that protect only the front side). The form fit liner and the fact that the bayonets cast receivers have been painted are nice additional assets to it.

Since it's an old post, did you complete it in any way, say, with a MBU-12 ?

Cover was common with some Toptex era helmets. Maybe a Protection design original ? 

Never seen that application tho..  thats a nice piece.

• 2 weeks later...
horridohutch
On 3/14/2021 at 5:57 AM, Vark_07 said:

Nice catch indeed !

Also the first time I see such a custom visor cover. From what I see in the pics, it looks like it was made of fabric and entirely wraps the visor with velcro locking (unlike the usual leather covers that protect only the front side). The form fit liner and the fact that the bayonets cast receivers have been painted are nice additional assets to it.

Since it's an old post, did you complete it in any way, say, with a MBU-12 ?

I did Vark as shown above... the cover is like a pocket, as you noticed that the visor slides into.

horridohutch
19 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

That is a MBU-20A/P mask.

Oops, you would be absolutely correct. Arnt I a dummy, I know that!

Does that helmet have the combat edge bladder installed?  That 20A/P being the A is a non combat edge mask, 20/P would be the CE version.  A F-16 would use the CE version so if no bladder is installed on the helmet a 12P mask would be more accurate if you are looking for accuracy in the display.   20A/P is used in non CE platforms like A-10, B-52, B2, airlift aircraft and training aircraft etc etc.   Still displays really nice with it, the 20 is a nice looking mask.