Civil War Sword?

johnny12550

I have this sword. It looks to be Civil War era, but it has no markings on the blade. Anyone have any idea of what this is or what branch of the military would have carried it. Thanks

post-129350-0-40841100-1570222214_thumb.jpeg

post-129350-0-02373700-1570222228_thumb.jpeg

Nice sword. Couldn't tell you a thing about it but I'm sure some folks here will be helpful. Any marks on the underside of the guard? I know some French makers marked their swords on the guard.

I may be totally wrong, but it looks to be similar to the regulation US M1850 series officer swords, but with quite a few differences. These were based on a French design. My knowledge is limited to some research I did on my M1850 Foot officer sword a few years back. Maybe it's a non-regulation pattern or foreign version? Maybe some kind of militia sword? Heavens knows that plenty of unofficial swords were used during the Civil War.

Hope someone with more knowledge than I have is able to give it a good ID.

Mikie

Some of my books are still packed from a show weeks ago but I believe this might be associated with the Rebekah-Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

http://caioof.org/the-truth-about-the-rebekah-degree/

This type of eagle pommel arose on the truly fancy ACW period presentation swords. The sword in question likely not many decades after the war.

Although the Rebekahs are coed, there are other fraternal auxiliaries, so I am not positive and may not even find this in the "bible"

https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/american-fraternal-sword/

I need to unload the wagon to get to the book in question but I would start there.

Cheers

GC

ZzzzzzzZZZZoooo

I did some errands, unloaded the wagon and looked through the book.

Nada..........

There are a few sites I'll poke through. The image is eerily familiar from somewhere. I just got bogged down in the Stevens 1907 Cyclopedia of Fraternities (again) and some stats of 3,000,000 members between the Odd Fellows and Free Masons the tip of a wider iceberg of society.

Also another look through the New Testament book listed in the first reply a good reminder to run through the flash card deck.

The 1907 Old Testament is downloadable. This one needs a lot of concentration to persevere.

https://archive.org/details/cyclopdiaoffra00stevrich

Cheers

GC

Thanks for all the input. I don't think it is some type of society sword. It has a more robust curved blade. All the society swords I have seen have very thin straight and unfullered blades

Ok then

Show its sister and origin.

I'd rather not start posting pages from the Schulyer, Hartley&Graham catalog to show the pommel. Nor do I want to show many pages in the first book mentioned that show dozens of fraternal sabers.

Nor would I point out a dozen examples in the new testament of etched m1832 artillery swords used by the Odd Fellows and their numerous sword types after the war.

It must obviously be a southern state blockade runner item commemorating Molly Pitcher.

Or a sword carried by Kady Brownell. :D Wait though, she is known to have been presented a militia pattern sword. :P

I jest but I'm not sure what your experience with 19th century swords really is.

What do I know anyway?

Best

Glen Cleeton

Serially ;)

The woman with the sword is Deborah.

Believe it or not.

Were it a military sword, one would expect it to be (which often was) Pallas Athena.

I'll leave it with that for now.

Best regards

GC

Might be Pythian, womens Knights Militant

Again, I'll poke around.

Heaven forbid it is Judith ;)