Desert Shield/Storm Captured Iraqi Helmet

ugafx4

I have been looking for an Iraqi helmet for quite a while and saw this one sitting on a table at a show. Looks like this is a Desert Storm capture based on the Operation name on the front and the date on the top of 1990-91. I am hoping that someone here could help me narrow down the unit that this helmet was captured by based on the writing. I am unsure what Task Force Alpha or the S.P.i actually means. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry about rotation I just can not figure out why they flip.

post-157279-0-40494000-1570197311.jpg

post-157279-0-05800700-1570197316.jpg

post-157279-0-10320600-1570197324.jpg

post-157279-0-22896400-1570197329.jpg

Maybe Operation Provide Comfort?

The 24th MEU (SOC) along with Joint Task Force Bravo(Task Force Alpha was responsible for the Kurd camps in the mountains) grew in size in the days following April 20. The MEU was joined by 4th Brigade (Aviation), 3rd Infantry Division, 18th Engineer Brigade, Naval Mobil Construction Battalion 133, 18th Military Police Brigade, 418th Civil Affairs Battalion USAR, 432 Civil Affairs Battalion USAR, and 431st Civil Affairs Battalion USAR, Canadian 4th Field Ambulance, 3d Battalion, 325th Infantry (Airborne)(reinforced)(arriving on 27 April), 40 Commando, 29 Commando Regiment, Royal Artillery, the French 8th Marine Parachute Infantry (Cougar Force), a Spanish expeditionary force formed from the 1st Airborne Brigade, "Roger De Flor" and the Italian Folgore Parachute Brigade. All together military forces from 10 countries participated deploying 20,000 military personnel. The Kurds were housed in Camp Jahawk and Camp Badger. The mayor of Jayhawk was MAJ Carl Fischer and the mayor of Badger was MAJ John Elliott.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Provide_Comfort

One name on it, "Doc Swain" or "Doc Smith", not sure which it is, would lead me to believe that this came from a Marine or Navy unit.

You may want to post a bunch of more close up pics of what is written on it.

I think there is a Marine connection as well. Mostly because I think I can make out 2nd Marines written on the helmet. I am taking some more photos and will compress them a little less so we can see better!

I appreciate the responses and I am very excited to be the steward of this piece!

Perhaps this is related?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Company,_Anti-Terrorism_Battalion,_4th_Marine_Division

• 2 years later...