Small bring back box

doyler

Recent find

Thought the named and marked box was interesting on its own.

Never can tell what may be in a small box.

post-342-0-42925900-1570148225_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-87789100-1570148236_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

I really love the box Doyler. I have a small collection of those too. Find many of them at the flea market with the contents long gone. I still like them though.

Paul

Very cool, I love these bring-back boxes! I bet your heart was pounding when you first opened it (Mine would have been).

Nice wooden shoes. You never know what will get sent home.

Thanks Dennis..I agree what got sent home always will amaze me.

I really love the box Doyler. I have a small collection of those too. Find many of them at the flea market with the contents long gone. I still like them though.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Yep, if I ever went off to war, my wife would want me to send her back shoes.

As long as she sends home baked cookies and treats shoes would be a fair exchange ;)

Very cool, I love these bring-back boxes! I bet your heart was pounding when you first opened it (Mine would have been).

Thanks John

Box didn't feel like it had anything in it.The seller said" open it up"... :D

As long as she sends home baked cookies and treats shoes would be a fair exchange ;)

Ha! I'm not supposed to eat cookies anymore. But she never complains about my collections of various stuff, and I don't complain about her shoe, handbag and clothing collections, so it's all good.

Really nice box. I love grabbing old wood boxes as others here do. The downside - I often hear from my wife ".... what is with all these boxes? They're taking up so much room".

Pretty cool RD. I am a bit surprised there are stamps on it though? I guess I would have thought FREE? Perhaps it was sent in the occupation period after they started requiring GI's to actually pay postage?

Interestingly enough too, I see that his MP Battalion had service both in Europe and then later on Okinawa, although I suspect the Okinawa period was post-war since they didn't actually rate a campaign streamer and were inactivated there in late 1946.

https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/mp/0785mpbn.htm

Do you suppose the unit history and the stamps might indicate he sent this from Okinawa versus Europe? I know Dutch wooden shoes and all that, but food for thought.

Pretty cool RD. I am a bit surprised there are stamps on it though? I guess I would have thought FREE? Perhaps it was sent in the occupation period after they started requiring GI's to actually pay postage?

Today it would cost $20-25 to send that to the USA from Europe.

Very cool.

How things were shipped home or stored always intrigued me.

I remember when my Oma in The Hague died and we cleaned out her house.

I found this large wood box ( we still have it ) with all sorts of things painted on it.

The feeling that came over me when I opened it up is one Ill never forget.

To this day I love that feeling.

Oh I got lost for a moment as I drifted back in time. Am I the only one?

I wanted to mention something about the shoes.

My understanding is that they made wooden soles in Europe due to a shortage of leather.

The bring back boxes are often as interesting as the contents. I found this at a sale: it has mailing info on the top, and one side has a piece of tape labeling the box for storage of paperwork from a barber shop.

Wasn't until I bought it and was loading it in the car that my wife noticed writing on the bottom:

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

Interestingly enough too, I see that his MP Battalion had service both in Europe and then later on Okinawa, although I suspect the Okinawa period was post-war since they didn't actually rate a campaign streamer and were inactivated there in late 1946.

https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/mp/0785mpbn.htm

Do you suppose the unit history and the stamps might indicate he sent this from Okinawa versus Europe? I know Dutch wooden shoes and all that, but food for thought.

Thanks Mike

Its an interesting item.I was leaning more toward the ETO being the box appears to be a small arms ammunition box for pistol ammunition.I recall the shoes are size marked 57 on the bottom as well

Oh I got lost for a moment as I drifted back in time. Am I the only one?

I wanted to mention something about the shoes.

My understanding is that they made wooden soles in Europe due to a shortage of leather.

Thanks Peter.

Great memories Im sure of times past.

I had another pair of shoes years ago that were sold as POW shoes.They were wooden sole and a black leather upper.Leather came up over the ankle I recall.Simple steel nails held the leather to the soles.They could have been a civilian shoe as well and were definately made with the conservation of materials in mind and wer european made.

I know the Germans used a lot od wooeden sole shoe and the winter or sentry boots come to mind.I have a set that are shorte than a jack boot with felt tops and dated 1942

The bring back boxes are often as interesting as the contents. I found this at a sale: it has mailing info on the top, and one side has a piece of tape labeling the box for storage of paperwork from a barber shop.

Wasn't until I bought it and was loading it in the car that my wife noticed writing on the bottom:

attachicon.gifbox1.jpg

attachicon.gifbox2.jpg

Bob...thats a nice box and well travled.I have been through Conrad several times.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen color photos of 'paris under the occupation' showing women in shoes real similar to these. apparently females made up for the lack of leather (or even rubber?) soles with what the euros have always had: STYLE! anyhow great and inteesting score, well done!