M1 Airborne Helmet

Joe

No name on it. I think this helmet was used for training. There was a strip of masking tape across the front & back. The camo was applied around the tape. Who camo’ed it & when I don’t know. The liner is glued in or something. It will not come out. I found this helmet in a surplus store near Goldsboro NC. Joe

Should the steel pot chin strap have that extra strap that snaps into the liner? Not a helmet guy, but I was in the 82nd , mid 70's , and my chinstrap has that extra short strap that buttoned onto the liner.

I believe it should have the snap. It doesn’t. The liner is 70’s & the shell chinstraps I believe are 50’s. They probably got married together at some point. What would have been the purpose of the masking tape & glued in liner ? Joe

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Many schools applied tape to the front and back of helmets and wrote the wearers name or roster number on it.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. They probably used the glue or carpet tape to hold the liner in.Because of the ascent of the snap on the shell chinstrap.

Joe