WWII 506th Uniform on Ebay

John4022

What do you guys think of this one on eBay? It certainly looks fishy to me. I think the oval is a repro, the para-glider cap patch looks post war & the tan frayed border of the 101st & 1st Allied Airborne sleeve patches confuse me. Theres 84 watchers and the bidding is up to $480. Hopefully this thread might save a fellow forum member from making a mistake.

Auction Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-ERA-US-ARMY-101st-AIRBORNE-506-PIR-UNIFORM/254373196431

post-163178-0-50969300-1570124431_thumb.jpg

Oval is a 100% reproduction, cap patch is not World War 2 era, 101st patch is a modern "Saving Private Ryan" example. Unfortunately, someone is going to lose a lot of money on this one.

All patches are newly made.

Within the past 6 months the seller purchased this item. I am sure the seller knows what they are doing and can easily profit off of idiots.

post-122868-0-18680800-1570125229_thumb.jpg

Thanks for confirming my concerns everyone! As I mentioned before hopefully this thread might save an inexperienced collectors $$$$.

I am sure the seller knows what they are doing and can easily profit off of idiots.

Agreed, and hes certainly going to be successful. Yet another garbage dealer to add to the blacklist. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if all the early bids are legitimate buyers. Could it be a fishing technique to entice a inexperienced collector? I can see someone thinking "oh, this item has a lot of bids, it has to be real!" Just my conspiracy theory.

I think the 30 bids could be real bidders, I was one of the first bidders and only placed an $11 max bid as a way to easily find it again since my watch list was full. The other low early bids may have been people trying to watch and see what happened without wanting to drive the price up too much. Good to know it isn't an authentic uniform, although I was never going to bid higher anyway. Thanks for pointing this out!

WOW! That uniform is truly TERRIBLE. As has already been called out, it appears that both SSI's and the oval are 100% fake. The cap patch is a modern, merrowed-edge piece. I normally attribute the CIB with Korean War era.

Allan

Skysoldier80

John great posting this on here in case it ever comes up again. I am no where an expert on patches, but the 506th Oval if what made me question it after looking at yours. It was no where near the quality. Patches looked questionable too. I am watching it just to see how high it goes.

Either people got wise and began retracting their bids or the seller really was manipulating bids because the highest bid has dropped down to $255 after being up at $480.