US canteen stove

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

An item I never knew about until today...saw two of these at the local AN store...when stowed, the the stove fits over top of the canteen cup then placed inside the canteen carrier...

I do a lot of hiking and this little guys weighs a lot less than the Coleman single burner stove...seems like it would be a great addition for a short day hike in the winter...

question...did the US military supply the cup lids? or is that a civilian addition

post-155518-0-45965800-1570066586_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-77893700-1570066593_thumb.jpg

hello Sir.. pretty sure the lids were not an issue item at anytime...it's a modern Bushcraft /camping item.. I was an (1980's-90's) Infantry soldier ( 11Bravo) and it was hit or miss that your supply N.C.O would even order that item much less the trioxane heat tabs to go with it..i was lucky to get one and used it to heat up (not cook) my ramen soup,tea and MRE entrée..I still have few genuine stoves to this day..watch out for china made cheap copys,find a genuine item..vince g. 11B Infantry..

I agree with Vince. I was an infantryman from 1973-1993. The stoves were great! Before that we made stoves out of c-ration cans or bought German Esbit stoves. I didnt see the canteen cup stoves until sometime in the 1980s. I never saw a lid like that until your photo!

milsurp_scout_14

Here's another issue version. I've heard these referred to as '1st pattern', but I've seen your type with late 1980s dates, so I think this may have been one contractor's interpretation of the design. 1991 dated, made by Gould Metal Specialties.

post-153911-0-53298100-1570154892_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-83796700-1570154900_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-42282100-1570154909_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-56075200-1570154917_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-02089200-1570154928_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

Milsurp..

Thanks for sharing your stove, and the instructions....

I would agree on it being the first pattern or at least an earlier version.......Based on the indents ....I think yours is an earlier version designed for the single handled cup, which was still being produced well into the early 70s... even though the instructions show the dual handled cup...I think your stove is designed for the older style folding handle cup,,...and it might not fit...try it??.

I am going to try it out this weekend...

post-155518-0-26952900-1570192929.jpg

As a young ROTC cadet, I came across what I was told was a "wing stove" from WWII. A local surplus store carried little tubes of hexamine tablets which fit perfectly inside the wing stove. The wing stove was pretty small and when folded, would actually fit inside the small pocket on the canteen cover (for water purification pill bottles). I LOVED this little stove and carried it everywhere throughout my military career, to include Germany and the Saudi/ Kuwaiti desert. Nothing would help an MRE like putting some heat to it.

Allan

post-151-0-04266600-1570204920_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-49605400-1570205185.jpg

phantomfixer

That is a cool little stove...the fuel is postwar...when lit did it act like a road flare...burning up, or in one direction?

I bought one of those canteen cup stoves at the West Point PX around 2001 or 2002 and they were that same 91 date marking. They are pretty nifty to use. The lid as other have said arent issue. Only saw those in surplus and camping catalogs over the years

I have a folding wing stove marked JAPAN. It is identical in construction to the WWII USMC NoM contract examples so commercial copies were produced post-war as well.

As a young ROTC cadet, I came across what I was told was a "wing stove" from WWII. A local surplus store carried little tubes of hexamine tablets which fit perfectly inside the wing stove. The wing stove was pretty small and when folded, would actually fit inside the small pocket on the canteen cover (for water purification pill bottles). I LOVED this little stove and carried it everywhere throughout my military career, to include Germany and the Saudi/ Kuwaiti desert. Nothing would help an MRE like putting some heat to it.

Allan

Agree these are typically USMC marked on one of the legs.I have one or two as well with some of the fuel tablets

An item I never knew about until today...saw two of these at the local AN store...when stowed, the the stove fits over top of the canteen cup then placed inside the canteen carrier...

I do a lot of hiking and this little guys weighs a lot less than the Coleman single burner stove...seems like it would be a great addition for a short day hike in the winter...

question...did the US military supply the cup lids? or is that a civilian addition

Never saw the lids (which look useful), had the stoves though. we would get them handed out by supply almost regularly

milsurp_scout_14

Phantomfixer--I'll have to try that out!! Looking at the shape of that indent, it looks like those older cups would fit right in.

phantom fixer: The hexamine tubes shown carried a number of individual tablets. They were shaped like a large aspirin. One tablet fit perfectly in the little cup in the center of the wing stove. I recall them being a little hard to light, but were plent to warm up some water for coffee or a can of c-rats. I never used the wing stove, just the c-rat can stove or Esbit as mentioned before.

phantomfixer

had to try out the stove last night..along with a 80s era lantern...the lantern needed a new generator tube...fired right up after putting the tube in..

the stove, I used one tablet..and it heated a cup water hot enough to make coffee...but never boiled...

post-155518-0-99425600-1570451092.jpg

post-155518-0-47063700-1570451098.jpg

The hexamine tablets that I was buying in the green tubes were more the size of a Tums than an aspirin. They fit nicely into the wing stove and I never had a problem getting one lit. It would glow blue and put out a pretty fair amount of heat. I would typically get my canteen cup full of whatever I was cooking and then put the cup on the wing stove and light it. I could get everything heated up nicely, and would get the edges to boil if I was heating stew (Dinty Moore or Hormel) and it would be enough heat to USUALLY heat two cups of coffee or hot cocoa. As a 2nd LT, I would always make sure that I was getting my platoon sergeant a hot cup o' Joe!

Allan

phantomfixer

"As a 2nd LT, I would always make sure that I was getting my platoon sergeant a hot cup o' Joe!"

As well you should Lt!! : )

would like to see any pics of these little stoves in use..either period or current..not a glamorous piece of equipment, but handy and still useful

For all the fancy highfalutin items that show up on these forums, I have to say it's the little common and useful things like this stove that get me...ummmm, fired up. It makes a direct connection to the life of a soldier in the field that a painted helmet or dress uniform never can. Not having served, I have to listen, read and use my imagination to get a hint of what it was life just to live life in the field, never the less fight.

Mikie

phantomfixer

Mikie well said...I think that is why a lot of us like the field gear....the personal items that kept a GI alive, and sometimes comfortable

Having said that...I was USAF, and only had to eat MRE's while TDY on occasion, but never in true field conditions...the closest we came to roughing it was having a hot plate in the back of a TabVee to heat coffee and such..

the heat tabs phantomfixer showed from a green foil pack worked on heating hot coco most of the time while not using the stainless or steel stove that fitted onto the canteen cup from what I remember. we used rocks

semperfi