Collings Foundation B-17 crashes

pacreamer

"NTSB Releases Preliminary Report on B17 Crash"

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/news/b17-2.html

Looking at the top of the wreckage from this angle it looks like to be the top turret with the guns pointing downward, just goes to show how violent the crash was. I'm still amazed how many survived. I had the opportunity to visit "Nine-O-Nine" back in 2012, she and "Witchcraft" were actually the very first WWII aircraft I ever saw and heard in person.

00-noncr.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
TheCrustyBosun

The NTSB appears to be citing pilot error as the main cause. The flight engineer stated that the pilot shut down the number 4 engine despite the engineer’s telling him keep it running. NTSB also stated that the landing gear was extended too early inducing drag and causing the aircraft to land short. The number 3 engine is reported to have been experiencing trouble as well. In addition, the pilot was also the CMO for the organization and is indicated as responsible for the shortcomings in maintenance and record keeping for the aircraft.  The NTSB also cited a lack of supervision by the FAA. 

I had the pleasure of flying in this aircraft in 2003. The loss of the aircraft, its crew, and passengers is tragic. I hope the warbird community can move forward in a positive way that ensures the continued safe operation of these great aircraft for generations to come. Keep’em flying!

I don't know about moving forward, but insurance rates for aircraft have gone through the roof since this accident. That's probably going to be the deciding factor for a lot of owners and operators, is paying the premium worth it. 

On 4/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, MattS said:

I don't know about moving forward, but insurance rates for aircraft have gone through the roof since this accident. That's probably going to be the deciding factor for a lot of owners and operators, is paying the premium worth it. 

I volunteered with this plane for before the crashes at the Stockton bombercamp https://www.bombercamp.org/   We're not sure if we're gonna get another plane/costs in the future to run the camp.

TheCrustyBosun
1 hour ago, lilfry14 said:

I volunteered with this plane for before the crashes at the Stockton bombercamp https://www.bombercamp.org/   We're not sure if we're gonna get another plane/costs in the future to run the camp.

Collings has a replacement B-17. 

18 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Collings has a replacement B-17. 

That's great news. I think I read they got their passenger flight permits revoked or not renewed, so hopefully they get that sorted out as well.

Took these about 6 months before crash, a show a bunch of us went to intending to fly on it but had a flat. Saw where a TBF bellied in water last week, news called it a “ dive bomber”, bugs bunny was right, “ what a moroon”.

531CD2CA-8581-42D2-96F7-D63027041CCB.jpeg

C1E8B158-DEE6-4BBC-A361-99FC8C48B7FF.jpeg

TheCrustyBosun
3 hours ago, lilfry14 said:

That's great news. I think I read they got their passenger flight permits revoked or not renewed, so hopefully they get that sorted out as well.

Collings’ “permit” was pulled as a result of the incident. I don’t believe it has been reissued nor do I know of any new regulation introduced by the FAA yet. Warbird organizations are still operating at this time. As a matter of fact, a Grumman TBM Avenger executed a VERY nice forced landing in the surf at Coco Beach the other day. I would imagine that Collings would return to business once they’ve proven to the FAA that their maintenance program is truly up to snuff. That is assuming Collings survives any legal action to follow. 

6 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

I would imagine that Collings would return to business once they’ve proven to the FAA that their maintenance program is truly up to snuff. That is assuming Collings survives any legal action to follow. 

We'll see how well those waivers they make you sign hold up...I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it looks good.