Collings Foundation B-17 crashes

pacreamer

It's worse than I thought.

This is a full overhead photo of the crash site.

From: https://abcnews.go.com/US/world-war-ii-plane-crashes-connecticut-airport/story?id=66004045&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_card_image

This was more than crashing into a "shed". There is a whole complex of storage tanks and industrial equipment there.

It's a miracle that anyone made it out alive.

plane-crash-aerial-ap-jt-191002_hpEmbed_

Sounds like an emergency landing due to engine trouble that went wrong.

I don't get that, the loss of one engine shouldn't have been catastrophic. Typically the pilot(s) will isolate the dead engine, shut it down, fuel mixture to cut off, feather the prop, return on the good 3. It appears there were several other things that all went wrong in a row with horrific results, but I'm not going to speculate. Just a terrible day.

phantomfixer

C5 at Dover crashed because of one engine shut down....on final, the crew throttled back to descend, lost too much altitude, throttled up 3 throttles, one was the dead engine, the good engine, thought to be the dead engine was left at idle, so only two engines were supplying thrust ....point is..one dead engine most likely will not be a concern, it is how the crew responds afterwards...

the radio recording to the tower, the crew of the B-17 seemed calm when initiating the return to the airport

the radio recording to the tower, the crew of the B-17 seemed calm when initiating the return to the airport

i was struck by that: Seemingly no urgency in any of the transmissions sent during that 4-minute period between engine failure and the crash

phantomfixer

Bob,

I never heard another call after the initial request was granted.....calls from and to the diverted aircraft, but nothing from the B17 to warrant an upgraded condition...IE another engine out etc...

Awful situation. When I flew in their B-24 a few years back I was impressed by the high level of professionalism demonstrated by the Collings folks. This may have significant impact on future warbird operations. Now we'll have to await the NTSB report/findings.

Awful situation. When I flew in their B-24 a few years back I was impressed by the high level of professionalism demonstrated by the Collings folks. This may have significant impact on future warbird operations. Now we'll have to await the NTSB report/findings.

I agree-having flown on 3 of their planes- this is so tragic in so many ways. The Collings Foundation was extremely professional and safety was stressed on all flights I had the honor and privelage to have flown on. This tore my heart out when I heard it today and it's just gotten sadder as the day has gone by. I am so sad for those people. I know what it felt like when I first sat in the seat on the B17 and rumbled down the runway... and I know how much anxiety my wife had watching me get aboard... RIP all and may God comfort those poor people's families.

Regarding Garandomatics post #28 above, is there a video posted somewhere of the aircraft coming in wheels up prior to the fire? Havent been able to find any reference to it.

Dale

Very sad news. The latest is there were 10 passengers and 3 crew on board, with 7 dead. Plus one person on the ground was injured. Sadly, they are having trouble identifying the victims, but they did confirm there were no children on the flight. One victims family has come forward and said their loved one and his wife were about to celebrate their wedding anniversary. The lone bright spot in this tragic event is some of the stories of heroic actions that will come out of those who were saved, including one person on the ground who rushed over to pull people out of the flaming wreckage. Looking at the photos, it's a miracle anyone survived.

Besides the horrific human cost is the historic loss, not only of the aircraft itself, but of all the WW2 vets who signed their names on the fuselage. Thinking of those brave vets (most of whom have since passed) who signed this plane saddens me further, as that irreplaceable connection to the past is also gone.

My wife and I were able to see and walk through the planes just a few weeks ago at the Mercer airport near Trenton. We enjoyed talking to some of the crew/volunteers. They all loved what they were doing. It really hurts thinking about all those crew and people that wanted to enjoy their experience.

Frank

Matt i do not recall seeing any signatures on the fuselage of nine o nine. I do know that witchcraft the B24 has dozens upon dozens on its fuselage.

Matt i do not recall seeing any signatures on the fuselage of nine o nine. I do know that witchcraft the B24 has dozens upon dozens on its fuselage.

Maybe it was the B-24 I was thinking of, thanks.

Simon Lerenfort

Tragic story but also one of heroism by the flight engineer and an airman who helped survivors escape. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible accident.