Collings Foundation B-17 crashes

pacreamer

Anyone else have an update on this? I learned it crashes this morning in CT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, quite sad. I hope those involved in the crash will be alright.

strawberry 9

I was lucky enough to fly on that plane a couple of summers ago. It was such an amazing experience and the Collins Foundation does a wonderful job. From what I've read so far, the plane crashed on landing. The news reports that six people were transported to the hospital...no fatalities so far thankfully. Unfortunately, the Nine-O-Nine appears to be completely destroyed. I believe that leaves us with only 7 or 8 flying B-17's left in the world.

Now being reported "At least two people have died and more were seriously injured"

An eyewitness said one engine was not running.

Hearing that a small shed was hit on approach to the runway, no emergency was declared....

Witnesses report seeing/hearing engine problems at takeoff, so it looks they were headed right back to a landing.

b17.jpg

Horrible on so many levels.

I was fortunate enough to ride on this plane a few years ago.

A 15th AF vet who copleted 50 missions was on our flight, and the pilot (I found out later) was Maj. Heather Penny --- one of the 2 F-16 pilots to go airborne on 9/11 with the intent of ramming their unarmed F-16s into Flight 93.

Incredible, all the way around.

If you're not familiar with her....here's a clip. There's a ton of info online. Hopefully she wasn't involved in this one.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/sept-11-fighter-pilot-recalls-suicide-mission-14472950

191002113945-02-hartford-airport-plane-c

There's an image on CNN that does not open up with the story. To my untrained eye, this looks like the aircraft was totaled. It looks like the aft portions of the airframe were burned right through.

This is beyond sad, but let's hope the survivors all make it with minimal injuries.

Very sad to hear of the crash and fatalities.

I met Mr.Collins @ a W.Springfield,Mass gunshow in the mid 2000's. He wanted to trade a ride on the B-17 for a S/D Luftwaffe helmet I had for sale on my table.

I was supposed to get back to him on the trade when they came to the Albany,NY Airport. After 6-7 years they did come to Albany but I didn't have the time to do the trade.

My heart goes out to the families.

Ken

So sad...flew on this myself a few years ago. It was such an incredible experience. Praying for all the people involved.

I was really hoping to hear that their wasn’t any passengers on this flight.