Collings Foundation B-17 crashes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky enough to fly on that plane a couple of summers ago. It was such an amazing experience and the Collins Foundation does a wonderful job. From what I've read so far, the plane crashed on landing. The news reports that six people were transported to the hospital...no fatalities so far thankfully. Unfortunately, the Nine-O-Nine appears to be completely destroyed. I believe that leaves us with only 7 or 8 flying B-17's left in the world.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

Makes me sick.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Hearing that a small shed was hit on approach to the runway, no emergency was declared....

Witnesses report seeing/hearing engine problems at takeoff, so it looks they were headed right back to a landing.

b17.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Horrible on so many levels.

I was fortunate enough to ride on this plane a few years ago.

A 15th AF vet who copleted 50 missions was on our flight, and the pilot (I found out later) was Maj. Heather Penny --- one of the 2 F-16 pilots to go airborne on 9/11 with the intent of ramming their unarmed F-16s into Flight 93.

Incredible, all the way around.

If you're not familiar with her....here's a clip. There's a ton of info online. Hopefully she wasn't involved in this one.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/sept-11-fighter-pilot-recalls-suicide-mission-14472950

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

191002113945-02-hartford-airport-plane-c

There's an image on CNN that does not open up with the story. To my untrained eye, this looks like the aircraft was totaled. It looks like the aft portions of the airframe were burned right through.

This is beyond sad, but let's hope the survivors all make it with minimal injuries.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

13 on board... at least two dead.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Very sad to hear of the crash and fatalities.

I met Mr.Collins @ a W.Springfield,Mass gunshow in the mid 2000's. He wanted to trade a ride on the B-17 for a S/D Luftwaffe helmet I had for sale on my table.

I was supposed to get back to him on the trade when they came to the Albany,NY Airport. After 6-7 years they did come to Albany but I didn't have the time to do the trade.

My heart goes out to the families.

Ken

donation2019.gif

Unfortunately they are now reporting 5 dead. Sad day for the aviation community and WWII history buffs. Let's hope that their numbers are wrong and that the others will make it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-least-5-killed-in-crash-of-world-war-ii-era-plane-at-conn-airport/ar-AAIbsMc?ocid=spartanntp

TH1

Collector of WWI US Navy "Donald Duck" Caps and Hat Tallies - Looking for Tallies from the USS Carp & USS Chauncey