Can Some One Explain The CPO Aviation Rate

Bill Scott

I have owned thousand of rates and never saw one like this.The rate is made with a stiff cardboard backing and attached to the back of the rate two elastic band for wear as a brassard.It is very well made but I do not know if it's real or reproduction.As always thank you for looking and your comments.Scotty

2019-10-02_084443.jpg

2019-10-02_084602.jpg

The embroidery on the eagle definitely looks like modern repro, and the specialty mark doesn't look right either. Why it is mounted that way, I have no idea.

Definitely a crow design that I have never seen. John Stacey's book shows silver bullion crow designs from 1886 thru the 1980's and none of them match this example?

Looks like a modern reproduction/fantasy piece to me. Not an expert, but maybe Pakistani?

Must be fantasy if there's no original to reproduce - but who would buy that?

I agree it looks very modern but wondered if anyone had ever seen anything like it.Like the French would say I think it is Poo Poo.Scotty

What totally convinces me that it is not a period original is the means of affixing the red chevrons. The chevrons are just machine sew-on. All period originals I have seen have them affixed with stitching that is so tight it resembles embroidery.

The way it should look:

post-322-0-41903200-1570149634_thumb.jpg

I would agree, reproduction, and, yes, probably Paki. The style of each part is just Off. Construction is just not right as Kurt said. Cant imagine why it would be on cardboard with elastic on the back like that.