Vietnam Pilot's Direct Embroidered Jungle Fatigue Shirt

VMI88

This was a recent pick-up: a Vietnam jungle fatigue shirt with direct-embroidered insignia. The officer was assigned to MACV and wore a 1st Infantry Division combat patch. The subdued MACV patch is the early US-made twill version. It looks like the shirt was never washed after the embroidery was done - it's in pristine condition. Is there any roster of Army pilots available? I've had luck researching pilots through the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association - I thought they had flight class rosters posted at one point but I don't see them now. I've found several pilots with this last name but none that match the patches on the uniform.

post-265-0-12159600-1569964543_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-92746200-1569964563_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-46435000-1569964636_thumb.jpg

beerdragon54

I love this and ironically just picked up my first direct embroidered one the other day and I’ll show too. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is the same Hood, then he would of have to have had served that 1st Tour in the 1st Inf Div. The MACV patch? if this is hm, he would of served some time in MACV on the 2nd Tour, maybe a Hack Pilot and then transferred over to the Cav.

Thanks for all the comments and the research! I found a few Hoods on the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website - including Charles P. - but none definitively affiliated with the 1st ID or MACV. t's a common enough name that unfortunately I'll probably never know for sure.

Thanks for all the comments and the research! I found a few Hoods on the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website - including Charles P. - but none definitively affiliated with the 1st ID or MACV. t's a common enough name that unfortunately I'll probably never know for sure.

Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website, they only list KIA and or those who died recently? I say this cause Charles P was the only one matched on the O registers for Regular and or Reserve Os in the 1969 year, FA Captain.

Yeah, VHPA is kind of hit or miss, though I have found matches there before. If you have the officer rosters for 1969 this may be the guy - thanks!

Yeah, VHPA is kind of hit or miss, though I have found matches there before. If you have the officer rosters for 1969 this may be the guy - thanks!

Yes he's the only one that matches up, there are a couple FA Majors and 2nd Louies, the 2nd Louies are a stretch, that is if they were Aviators and made Captain by say 1971-72, Will check those to see.

Here's the 2nd Lieutenants as of Jan 69, FA, Reserve Commissioned, there are no Hood's FA in the Regular Army, only two who were Captains, one of the Quartermaster Corps and one of the Ordnance Corps, and one 1st Lieutenant of Infantry.

Loren E. Hood, no hits.

Ralph E. Hood, no hits