Korean Made USMC Metal Cap Rank Insignia ?

redone

Very cool usually these are missing the nut on the back for the screwpost. Id like to say these are for the liners but I think Ive seen more worn on caps than the liners

Very cool usually these are missing the nut on the back for the screwpost. Id like to say these are for the liners but I think Ive seen more worn on caps than the liners

These ones both the Marine and Army ones from the war were worn more often then not on the caps if worn. It was within the Army that the specifically U.S. ones, those large enameled ones were worn on the liners and even then not seen that much really, EM rank decals more so., this basically towards the end of the 50s.

Thanks Sean.

Thanks I was going to say Ive seen these on the pile cap and the ridge way cap fairly often in the 50s

They were real snappy as seen on this GI in the war.

post-34986-0-81658000-1426050847.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Anyone ever seen any photos of USMC wearing these chevrons? I've been looking but have not yet found them in photos

Anyone ever seen any photos of USMC wearing these chevrons? I've been looking but have not yet found them in photos

A few of the Marine ones posted in the linked topic by hhbooker2 have wear, though not sure of course if's it's wear from being worn somewhere on a Marine, or wear from storage and or handling all these long years.

I need to find period photos of them in use. I want to include them in my book on USMC ranks.

If they were worn a good guess would be on the Pile Caps right, on the HBT Cover? Don't know, if they did put them on those they would be obscuring the EGA Stencil.

One good place to look would be any 1st Mar Div Korean War yearbooks, these are always a boon of photos for things like this, don't know if the 1st Mar Div hsd unit yearbboks???

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I agree, but you know SOME of them probably wore them anyway. Either was was certainly the first metal enlisted ranks worn, even if they weren't actually authorized. Here are some other funky early ranks. I imagine this supplier (who was apparently around for a long time in Brooklyn) assumed that this would be the new insignia when the crossed rifles were added in January 1959 perhaps not realizing that the Corps was also making their chevrons narrower. I have only seen these two ranks but I wonder if they made the other ranks too.

post-133515-0-86385100-1570663652_thumb.jpg

I agree, but you know SOME of them probably wore them anyway. Either was was certainly the first metal enlisted ranks worn, even if they weren't actually authorized. Here are some other funky early ranks. I imagine this supplier (who was apparently around for a long time in Brooklyn) assumed that this would be the new insignia when the crossed rifles were added in January 1959 perhaps not realizing that the Corps was also making their chevrons narrower. I have only seen these two ranks but I wonder if they made the other ranks too.

attachicon.gifDSC03737.JPG

Those are real interesting, made like the existing ones worn at that time we see. Wonder if Max Cohn was the only one who made these, or if other makers had the same idea and followed suit however briefly

• 3 weeks later...

Another shot.. if you zoom in you can see a bunch of guys in the background wearing them on their caps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usmcarchives/12836536104/in/photostream/

Great find, the the one with the formation is extra good in showing the band in a field setting, liners and all, the 1st Marine Division Band I suppose right.

When I was at Ft Hood in 80-81 I was a regular at the post library, they had a huge selection of Army Yearbooks from the 40s- 50s and 60s, these being Basic Training Graduation yearbooks from not only Ft Hood, IE The 2nd Armd Div in Elvis' Day, and the old WWII Tank Destroyer Replacement Training Center and the Infantry Replacement Training Center, but some from other Army Posts as well.

They had 50-60s Unit Yearbooks, like the 24th Infantry Division in West Germany, the 9th Infantry Division at Ft Carson etc etc and Divisional Wartime Year Books, like the 1st Armored Division in WWII, the 3rd Infantry Division WWII, 1st Cavalry Division in Korea as well as Vietnam, the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division in Vietnam etc etc, a whole bunch of stuff you could take out.

One book I took out was a Korean War pictorial on the United States Marine Corp during the Korean War 1950-53, it wasn't a 1st Mar Div yearbook from Korea, just a photo book, sure wish I could of remembered the title and what the cover looked like, as I would love to have this in my collection, it had from what I remember loads of great photos, it no doubt would of yielded up some great interesting photos to scan and share here on USMF.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

You should call Ft Hood library and see if they can locate it! Or if you can find the title, let me know! Would love to track that one down!