Original Shell Jackets?

Hey all, I do not usually collect Civil War items, however, a listing popped up near me for a large old trunk with what seems to be two shell jackets, some pictures, a belt buckle (sitting on jacket in picture showing everything in trunk), and a news clipping from the war.

I have never dealt with original civil war uniforms in any way and was wondering if there was any way I could check to make sure these are authentic or in any way legit. It’s listed at $400 right now.

Best,

Alex

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If these items are good, they won't last long. If I were in your shoes, I'd take the gamble and pick them up while I could, unless you know the seller isn't showing them to other people.

Steve

It's hard to see any detail in those photos, but what I do see doesn't look promising. They appear to be mediocre reproductions with machine-sewn seams and heavy modern cloth. It's hard to believe someone would be dumb enough to sell what they believed to be real Civil War uniforms for $400 (though I'm sure it's happened).

I'd love any piece of Civil War clothing. Enough so that I might just err on the side of foolishness and go for it - assuming there wasn't any glaring red flags ( like a repro-r-us label).

• 4 weeks later...