Is it just me or is this paint to new for the helmet?

6th.MG.BN

Just a quick search turned up Earl Mcdonald Chadwick, US Coast Guard vet of WW2: https://www.mundenfuneralhome.net/notices/Earl-Chadwick

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/144883754/earl-mcdonald-chadwick

No one else seems interested in researching the name, but here's what I found.

From the US Navy Institute: "Coast Guard officers, including Lieutenant Commander Quentin Walsh, helped plan Operation Neptune, the naval portion of Operation Overlord, the 6 June 1944 D-Day invasion of Normandy. Coast Guard personnel manned assault transports; cargo ships; 83-foot rescue cutters; landing ships, tank (LSTs); landing craft, infantry (LCIs); and smaller landing craft along Omaha and Utah beaches. In fact, Coast Guard photographers shot the first and most famous photographs of the invasion. The service’s 83-foot cutters rescued 1,468 men from the surf and sinking ships offshore."

In the Pacific, "most Coast Guardsmen manned transports, LSTs, and landing craft in support of amphibious operations. These landings included the Aleutian Islands, Tarawa, Saipan, Guam, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and the Philippines. Coast Guard assets continued to operate through the end of the Pacific war, supporting amphibious ops against Okinawa."

https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2016/october/coast-guards-world-war-ii-crucible

Ive been reading this thread and I have to interject, Ive dealt with Patrick and Bill Shea and they are 1000% stand up guys.

Me and Patrick have had many a good conversation and Ive also bought from him in the past. In fact one of my favourite helmets my ( USMC mud camo helmet) came from Patrick.

They sell US, Japanese and German items.

I have no problem with this helmet whatsoever or with what they sell.

- Dean

Here's a (very) low quality picture of the helmet at the Max Show, you can tell the helmet is way less glossy.
The picture is on the "2019 Max Show Report" page of his website.

It's to the left of the medic lid, and under the orange and green camo.
19c8c5ce-c425-433c-90ec-74e58447b19e.jpg

I am no helmet expert but have to chime in. I collect ordnance. After I saw this helmet is a Navy one, the painted colors make perfect sense. That is Navy standard green and black, exact green and black color on my USN Bofors rounds. Navy shells of WW2 were painted hunter green. I do not have the exact FS paint standard number, but the color and semi glossy-ish sheen is 100 percent as compared with my WW2 ordnance....same same from 40mm to one ton 16"/50 shells which by the way were commonly hand painted by brush after spending time in sea water soaked air and damp ammo holds. My other input after watching thread after thread from people who do not know anything about vintage FS paint ( judging only by what they perceive to be correct) , it had a lot of lead in it, paint can be analyzed ( dated) quite easily if one has the equipment. That said, Modern epoxies, enamels, acrylics, laqueres, etc. used in repaints results in soft finishes, 75 year old paint is very, very hard and chips easily, very hard to duplicate. A sewing needle, bright light, 10x magnifier can be used quite successfully to see how " soft" or hard ( chipping) a paint sample is.

Its a cool helmet. But was the guy who wore it the helmsman? A gunner? I dont have that kind of money to spend on a helmet.

But if I did, I'd want it to be ....for instance..... Audie Murphys helmet etc etc etc .. I think when you spend that much on a helmet.. you are buying the story.

I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder. I picked up a ww2 Kelly Helmet that belonged to a gunner with a DSC and 156 missions.

And I paid substantially less... Phenominally less ...

Im not knocking this helmet in any way.... And Im new at this game, but Im not noticing much rhyme or reason when it comes to what some folks will pay for a helmet. That is a mystery to me.

stealthytyler

The seller bought this helmet form a private collection in North Carolina. It just so happens that the sailor was from North Carolina. He joined in 1942 and was released in 1946. He served aboard the USS Allentown in 1944 and 1945 earning 2 PTO battle stars. Documents show that he earned 4 battle stars total in WWII. Does this mean that he earned the other 2 PTO battle stars aboard an LCI in 1943? The number 17 is just an inventory/rack number. The LCI number is likely under that black paint. I adjusted the saturation on the photos and the brown blotchy rust on the inside of the shell matches the brown blotchy rust on the outside of the liner. So it appears that the shell and liner are original together. Whoever wins this lid should order his records to figure all this out.

post-131595-0-97353700-1569980255_thumb.jpg

Burning Hazard

Awesome camo helmet. Pics come out looking glossy because of the camera as well; mine come out looking like that too when photographing indoors but outdoors they're flat.

Pat

Its a cool helmet. But was the guy who wore it the helmsman? A gunner? I dont have that kind of money to spend on a helmet.

But if I did, I'd want it to be ....for instance..... Audie Murphys helmet etc etc etc .. I think when you spend that much on a helmet.. you are buying the story.

I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder. I picked up a ww2 Kelly Helmet that belonged to a gunner with a DSC and 156 missions.

And I paid substantially less... Phenominally less ...

Im not knocking this helmet in any way.... And Im new at this game, but Im not noticing much rhyme or reason when it comes to what some folks will pay for a helmet. That is a mystery to me.

Its A buyers market,

There is no mystery here, its a hand Camo helmet, Used on combat missions and is named.

What else is there to figure out, the buyers will dictate the market price for this one.

I dont think 2-3k is bad at all for this helmet, its a right corker

The seller bought this helmet form a private collection in North Carolina. It just so happens that the sailor was from North Carolina. He joined in 1942 and was released in 1946. He served aboard the USS Allentown in 1944 and 1945 earning 2 PTO battle stars. Documents show that he earned 4 battle stars total in WWII. Does this mean that he earned the other 2 PTO battle stars aboard an LCI in 1943? The number 17 is just an inventory/rack number. The LCI number is likely under that black paint. I adjusted the saturation on the photos and the brown blotchy rust on the inside of the shell matches the brown blotchy rust on the outside of the liner. So it appears that the shell and liner are original together. Whoever wins this lid should order his records to figure all this out.

chadwick 4.jpg

Excellent work as usual my friend

There is a high probability that someone here is winning the helmet or at the least in the hunt. The helmet has garnered alot of attention since it was posted here. I would love to have this helmet but WOW the price is high but a nice one.

Marty

attachicon.gifchadwick 4.jpg

Thanks for putting a face to Seaman 1st Class Earl Mcdonald Chadwick. Hope whoever buys the helmet honors this man's service.

There is a high probability that someone here is winning the helmet or at the least in the hunt. The helmet has garnered alot of attention since it was posted here. I would love to have this helmet but WOW the price is high but a nice one.

Marty

I hope you're right. I never had a horse in this race but I'm hopeful someone here does. I'd love to see some more photos of this one!

They aren’t buying the story but the provenance.

This helmet has great provenance.

Provenance is something that has proof to back it up.

A story has no proof.

Thanks to the research done here the provenance continues to pile up.

Most likely the high bidders have done their own research or they are monitoring this thread.

crazy??? only 4 bidders on that lid-- why?? you would expect more for a painted lid. thing that gets me is some ding dong bid on it bid after bid after bid like he was trying to scare others away with all those bids. thing is he didn't even try for it at the end and jacked up the price for nothing. ill lay down odds some on here got it.

Wow. Someone wanted it.

Does anyone who saw it at the Max recall what they were asking for it there?

Just curious.

Ken

And right now somebody is looking up the name of a deceased Navy vet, the LCI he served on, and heading to the model store for some Testors black and green gloss paint.

I'm not sure if this helmet has great provenance? Provenance, to me, is when a helmet (or whatever is in question) is 100% traceable to the vet...as in, you saw the vet take it out of the footlocker. Or the vet (or his family) walked into the militaria show or hotel buy with the helmet. You've got the guy's name, address, unit, maybe a written testimony. This helmet has none of that. It has a name on it. Lots of things have names and service #'s on them, but no provenance. Came out of an old collection from No. Carolina is the story. The vet was from No. Carolina. That's reassuring, but not sure if it's solid provenance.