Is it just me or is this paint to new for the helmet?

6th.MG.BN

I have to say at first glance this camo paint looks to new and shiney for the original OD green on the helmet sporting rust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Navy-LCI-17-M1-Camo-Helmet-Fixed-bail-Front-Seam-Named-Landing-Craft-Inf/153661110194?hash=item23c6ea77b2:g:QggAAOSwLOJdjkoI

I like the overall look of the camouflage patter although it looks more modern then WWII pattern/colors.

Did WWII US Navy landing craft personnel paint their helmets with camp patterns?

Ken

On first look I kind of like it, I like the white wording over everything and the edge wear.

obviously an odd paint color choice, but I have seen other things painted on both of those colors and they had to go with what they had at times. That being said I would have to have in hand before I had my wallet in hand...

this seller travels to many shows and is a dealer for years but, my question is why wouldn't he take it to the MAX or any other show and try to sell it or even on his site???

this seller travels to many shows and is a dealer for years but, my question is why wouldn't he take it to the MAX or any other show and try to sell it or even on his site???

...because his typical clientele are TR collectors. That is his specialty and what he is known for. He sets up at the SOS but in all my years of attending in search of US militaria I've never once stopped at Bill's table because I know he probably doesn't have what I'm looking for (and his prices are extremely high). Ebay is probably a better way for him to sell US stuff. Regarding the helmet...I actually like it and think it has a good shot at being real.

Gloss paint or not, I dont think it would matter to a crewman on an LCI.....

My thoughts exactly.

Wouldn't be the first Navy helmet with an odd "camouflage" pattern.

The helmet was at the Max Show, too. I didn't get any pictures, but I got to hold it. To me it looked perfectly fine.

The paint definitely isn't that glossy from what I remember in person, and the wear on the olive drab paint, and the camo paint seemed to match up - at least I think.

The liner chinstrap is obviously a replacement in my mind, as the wear didn't match the wear of the helmet from when I held it. Not to mention the black hardware.

Bill Shea's photo setup probably doesn't help either, as he uses very, very bright lighting for taking photos, from what I've seen.

The helmet was at the Max Show, too. I didn't get any pictures, but I got to hold it. To me it looked perfectly fine.

The paint definitely isn't that glossy from what I remember in person, and the wear on the olive drab paint, and the camo paint seemed to match up - at least I think.

Photos always do a hard time doing a piece justice, IMO.

I especially like what I see in the second photo in the top left green splash.

J

may I make a suggestion----------- the name in the liner----------- any body have access to navy or coast guard records?? look it up to see if the vet was indeed on an LCI.

may I also ask---------- if it was at the Max show, why didn't it sell there?? lots of lid guys there.

may I make a suggestion----------- the name in the liner----------- any body have access to navy or coast guard records?? look it up to see if the vet was indeed on an LCI.

may I also ask---------- if it was at the Max show, why didn't it sell there?? lots of lid guys there.

I don't know exactly why it wouldn't sell, however a lot of the stuff at the table was at least in my opinion, overpriced for what it was. He had a lot of other nice helmets, such as a 1st LT, 3rd I.D. Helmet, and a nice identified 82nd Airborne Glider CPT's. helmet.

I didn't see a lot of stuff sell helmet wise in general at the show, but that may have just been what I saw.

I am certainly no expert on this topic, but why would a camouflaged helmet have glossy, highly reflective enamel paint?

Most enamel paint back then was gloss especially navy and you would hear about it if you did not cut your lines in properly. Camo was different.

I have no issue with this helmet. Get rid of the replacement leather chinstrap, which was a really bad marketing idea by a dealer who should have known better, and it is unquestionable.

It was at the Max, and didn't sell there.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/PMS--POST-MAX-SHOW--2019-REPORT-IS-HERE-----.html?soid=1118893490618&aid=zTclf3WUMG4

From what I can see, it doesn't look like many of his higher end US helmets make it to his website.

strange---------- never knew he also dealt in GI lids. his site never showed GI lids and at the show it didn't sell. price to high there?? his prices on TR stuff is way high and often wondered where he finds all this stuff.