OV 1 Mohawk hidden away.

I have been working in converting an AH1S Cobra back into a flying G model at our AAHF in Hampton. I finally took a break and was able to gain access to another one of their hangars....inside was an OV1 Mohawk. It was aquired in a trade a few years ago, and was flown in....been sitting neglected since then. The foundation would love to get it flying again but realize the funds, the time, parts and tech know how are lacking....accumulators, boost pumps, hydraulic pumps, squibs, fire bottles, etc...So it sits....and time marches on.post-180924-0-95424100-1569712233_thumb.jpeg

The good news is that it is stored inside, not really getting worse. Seeing historic aircraft flying is awesome! Hearing about historic planes crashing and burning is horrible. Sometimes a cosmetic restoration is best.

BKW

I used to own the cockpit section of 67-18907. I bought from a scrapper and spent a year or so restoring it. I used it as an attraction related to my business. There is a business in Florida Called Mohawk Technologies LLC in Lantana. The owner's Name is Paul Pefly. He helped provide a number of parts for my restoration. His access and expertise could be helpful to you.

IH

I used to own the cockpit section of 67-18907. I bought from a scrapper and spent a year or so restoring it. I used it as an attraction related to my business. There is a business in Florida Called Mohawk Technologies LLC in Lantana. The owner's Name is Paul Pefly. He helped provide a number of parts for my restoration. His access and expertise could be helpful to you.

IH

Thank you, much appreciated.

They are getting really rare these days, especially flying once the AWAM museum shut down up in MN. Paul in FL is def a great person to contact when it comes to Mohawks. He's helped me find some odds and ends for ALSE/Seat related items. Wouldnt have my complete seat survival kit without his help. If youre also on Facebook, you can try posting about it in the OV-1 Mohawk group. I know this aircraft was shown by someone not too long ago that I guess is part of AAHF and when I asked if they will restore it he said there was no plans on it. Lots of guys in that group with the prior experience working on OV-1s and still down to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

This aircraft finally has seemed to get some good attention in the OV-1 Mohawk Facebook group. Lots of former vets who flew with her in the Army and also brought her to the AAHF have surfaced.

• 2 years later...

My last flight in the Army was in November of 1992 at Aco 224th MI Bn (AE) at Hunter AAF in Savannah Ga. It was in this very aircraft, 69-17005. I also flew in 005 when it was with the 15th MI at Ft. Hood in the mid-80's. It was a wonderful aircraft and was one of our dual-controlled trainers at the time. I hope she gets the attention she deserves.

Cheers.

Spud-60

On 10/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, Spud 60 said:

My last flight in the Army was in November of 1992 at Aco 224th MI Bn (AE) at Hunter AAF in Savannah Ga. It was in this very aircraft, 69-17005. I also flew in 005 when it was with the 15th MI at Ft. Hood in the mid-80's. It was a wonderful aircraft and was one of our dual-controlled trainers at the time. I hope she gets the attention she deserves.

Cheers.

Spud-60

I'll assume your callsign comes from your time at the 15th?  Or were you with the 131st earlier?   

1 hour ago, Spud 60 said:

Comes from the 15th in the 80's. This is Barry from the FB Mohawk Group. Is this Tom?????

Yes sir, figured you would be someone familiar.   I think I recal you mentioning Spud 60 when I was asking about callsigns on a helmet I have.