Bring back helmet from the Pacific

Brian Dentino

Thanks to the help of aznation and Beast I now have a positive ID on the sailor that brought this helmet back from the Pacific Theater. SK2c Joseph Edwin Conboy, of South Bend, Indiana was stationed aboard the USS APL 23 late in the war. I have no details what so ever on how he may have acquired this, but am guessing that because he was on APL 23, a barracks ship, in late August/early September at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands he probably got it from a returning sailor, soldier, or Marine? This helmet, which I believe is a Japanese helmet, was given to me by the niece of Mr. Conboy a few weeks ago and I have been trying to find out more about him before I posted it here on this thread.

If anyone can ID this helmet for sure I would appreciate it.

Thanks. All of the following pictures and information are credited to aznation.

Thanks again for the help, and hope you like this Navy bring back from a local vet.

post-291-0-11689100-1569698150.jpg

post-291-0-42012900-1569698161.jpg

post-291-0-11375200-1569698173_thumb.jpg

Interesting to learn about the role that these APL ships played in the war, especially the Pacific Island hoppingl Never knew that the Navy had these barracks ships, with no engines of their own, towed around to various "fronts" to provide a place for men to rest and recover. Very interesting and an aspect of the Naval conflict that I was unaware of until getting into this research a bit!

USCapturephotos

Yup its definitely Japanese and appears to have been bullet struck. Congratulations and its so nice to have the sailors info with it!

Paul

I can get better pics of the damage, but they are definitely original as the rust and damage area shows lots of age. I can get a clearer picture of the bullet exit area on the back of the helmet if anyone is interested. Too bad its missing the star, but to have a sailors name to go with it and from someone from my home town I think it is a very cool addition to my collection. Not in the greatest shape, but I am assuming that this may have been picked up on the field of battle somewhere? Let me know if you want more pics of anything specific on it as it now resides in my collection.

Thanks again for the comments and the help of aznation and Beast for helping me track down the history of the man that brought this back!

BTW, first Japanese helmet I have ever owned which is why I was not 100% certain that it was in fact Japanese. I can't believe that it is so thin and light compared to my US M-1's from that time frame!

Great Artifact! Pretty much what you would expect to see in a late war Navy souvenir. Likely it had been laying around on an Island in the salt air for a year or two prior to being picked up by a souvenir hunter. We don't know, but I would say it is pretty much the way he got it. Interesting vessel he worked on also. How would you like to be the "captain" of a ship with no propulsion system?

Thanks for posting it. Love seeing Hoosier artifacts.

BKW

I thought about that too Scott, but the more I looked at it, the more I saw the angles of the star in the surface corrosion. I think it is an Army helmet - either way, a neat piece.

From what I can see of the split pins, it looks like a navy helmet. Scott

2 of the above pictures are of the "exit wound" so I believe having this helmet in hand now. Would be interested in your thoughts on this. I am not sure of the original place that this was picked up, but know where it came from and who brought it home and I guess that this is all that matters!

Thanks all for the kind comments. I will preserve Mr. Conboy's story as long as this stays in my collection. I love the fact that he lived a mere couple miles from where I grew up and currently live. Gotta love local stuff!!!