DUI Identification Help

Desertrat

The middle is the 80th Tank Bn

Thanks. I came up with the 80th Armor Regiment. The maker is fairly rare and this maker mark was used in the 1960s, according to the Reference Section.

The one on the right is the 34th Infantry, theater made, not sure where, the 34th Inf was in the 24th Infantry Division in Japan till it was destroyed in July 1950, it is re raised in 1952 when the 24th Inf Div is pulled out of Korea and sent back to Japan, so it could be Japanese made, late 40s or after 1952. Fast forward to 1958 the 24th Inf Div is in West Germany and is stationed there throughout the 60s, so it could be Wes German made as well

For the rectangular DUI on the left I have it identified in my collection as the Command and General Staff College and Ft. Leavenwoth.

EH

On the 80th Tank Battalion, there was actually two 80th Tank Battalions, one was activated in January 1941 as the 80th Tank Battalion (Light), but this one is redesignated as the 760th Tank Battalion May 1941 first as a Light Tank Battalion with Stuarts, then finally as a Medium with Shermans, it's see action in Italy, from Salerno to the Po.

This other 80th, the one in question, it was at very first an Armored Regiment when it was first reconstituted in January 1941, here as the 8th Armored Regiment, and is a part of the newly activated 4th Armored Division, and fully activated in April 1941 it's redesignated the 80th Armored Regiment May 1941, it's Inactivated in January 1942, but is reactivated in April 1942 as a part of the new 8th Armored Division, Regiment broken up September 1943, where the HQ, 1st and 2nd Battalions of the regiment are formed into the 80th Tank Battalion, here taking the number of the now redesignated earlier 80th Tk Bn, unit fights with 8th Armd Div in the ETO, and is releaved from assignment to 8th Armd Div July 1945 as is the in turn redesignated as the 80th Amphibious Tractor Battalion and operates as a Separate unit in Czechoslovakia- Germany on Occupation Duty, it goes home in February 1946 and is inactivated.

This DI for the unit was adopted in 5 March 1953 at that time it was now in the 5th Armored Division at Cp Chaffee Arkansas, 5th Armd Div was a cadre strength training division, the 80th Tk Bn was assigned to the 5th Armd Div June 1948-July 1948, it is inactivated March 1956, it never was active again.

The Code will be CP&Co 1P for C. Polk Co./Polk Sales Corp., New York which is very much correct from 1954 till 1965, after which Polk goes with P21.

Found another Polk 80th Tk Bn DI, this one being a Clutch Back, for some reason more then one manufactures made the DIs in the 50s both in Pin Back and Clutch Back.

post-34986-0-05741700-1569633955.jpgpost-34986-0-36137200-1569633964.jpg

Acording to ASMIC issue for J-M 2003 the 34th infantry crest is Japanese made during the Korean war era and similar in construction to "lighter pieces" whatever that refers to.

Acording to ASMIC issue for J-M 2003 the 34th infantry crest is Japanese made during the Korean war era and similar in construction to "lighter pieces" whatever that refers to.

metal insignia affixed to the sides of cigarette lighters - smaller than typical DI-sized metal insignia

metal insignia affixed to the sides of cigarette lighters - smaller than typical DI-sized metal insignia

Thanks for the clarification, I thought that it might have been referring to cigarette lighter insignias, but I couldn't locate the article that it was referencing and for all I knew it might have referred to the weight since that seems like a pretty light weight DUI.

Thanks for everyone's help. I picked them up with the idea of selling/trading everything except the C&GSC DUI, which I need to complete my Grandfather's uniform from WW II. Now I may keep the 34th Infantry since I was in the 24th ID and collect items from that division.