2 WWII Japanese flags from Tarawa

ww2marine

Purchased these from a fellow forum member, but don't believe theyve been shared before. Both flags were taken from Tarawa by William Black who served with 3/6. Black received a Silver Star on Guadalcanal which was upgraded to a Navy Cross in 1952. These were purchased from Black's grandson in 2009. Black's grandson said these were hung up in his workshop for 35+ years.

post-5600-0-82499000-1569569524.jpgpost-5600-0-79327900-1569569548.jpg

Nice souvenieers, I got a nazi party flag my uncle brought back from France, He too kept it hanging in his tool shed for years, I remembered it as a child hanging there. He gave it too me a few years before he passed away. He told me he wanted me to have it, as no one else was into the history or would remember the history of it. He told me that he went into a goverment building in the last French town before crossing into Germany, it was hanging from the balcony railing, he went up stairs and pulled it down. I have had it ever since. I can appreciate the story behind it rather than what it represented at the time. I had it hanging in my room as teenager. Now its folded and put away. When I see it reminds me of a humble man who lived through a difficult time of war and how lucky he was to make it home. Nice flags from a horrible battle, and time of war that should never be forgotten. Great post!

I always love captured flags and have one from the battle of eniwetok. It’s nice to see that the flags have a story attached to them as well. Very nice find and I’m glad that they’re with someone who will care for them and tell people of William Blacks service/story

Nice souvenieers, I got a nazi party flag my uncle brought back from France, He too kept it hanging in his tool shed for years, I remembered it as a child hanging there. He gave it too me a few years before he passed away. He told me he wanted me to have it, as no one else was into the history or would remember the history of it. He told me that he went into a goverment building in the last French town before crossing into Germany, it was hanging from the balcony railing, he went up stairs and pulled it down. I have had it ever since. I can appreciate the story behind it rather than what it represented at the time. I had it hanging in my room as teenager. Now its folded and put away. When I see it reminds me of a humble man who lived through a difficult time of war and how lucky he was to make it home. Nice flags from a horrible battle, and time of war that should never be forgotten. Great post!

Thats awesome. Family items are the absolute best.

I always love captured flags and have one from the battle of eniwetok. It’s nice to see that the flags have a story attached to them as well. Very nice find and I’m glad that they’re with someone who will care for them and tell people of William Blacks service/story

I bet that's a great flag. Its scarce to find anything from Eniwetok. My grandfather was with the Seabees at Eniwetok alongside the 22nd Marines.

I bet that's a great flag. Its scarce to find anything from Eniwetok. My grandfather was with the Seabees at Eniwetok alongside the 22nd Marines.

Ill be happy to show you in a bit. By the way those Rising Sun flags are hard to come by, one is on the list in the future lol.

The surname of the Japanese soldier this belonged to was Yatani. I will try to read the first name if you can post a larger photo of this character.

post-5600-0-82499000-1569569524.jpg

Thanks Eric. The previous owner had you translate the name already which was Sadao Yatani. I appreciate it though!

• 4 months later...

Love those flags. I have a Japanese flag my dad brought back from the Pacific. He brought back a pistol and 2 swords also but he gave the pistol to our little village's police chief who lived next door and sold the swords when I was off at school. The flag and his Ike jacket are all that's left but I'm very thankful to have them. I regret that I never asked him if there was a story to go along with the flag.

very nice and historic set of flags!

the rising sun flag with the dried blood reminds me of a flag my neighbor had. he was a Marine on IWO and he acquired his the same way and in similar condition.