20th Air Force / 497th Bomb Group Collection

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

I recently purchased this incredible grouping from the family. The Veteran served as a tailgunner on a B29 in the 497th Bomb Group. One of the largest and most complete groupings ive come across in a long time.

At one point, his B29 was shot down, and he and the crew were rescued at Sea. Included in the group were some of the survival items he used, and also the wind whipped flag that was flown on the vessel that rescued them (along with a sailors cap) Also included was a video recording of the vet and his experience that was made in 2004, which ive yet to watch.

The surprise of the group, and something i didnt find until i went through it at home, was the Goldfish Club patch and the Sea Squatter pin. Ive never had the Sea Squatter pin so i was very pleased when that turned up.

post-52765-0-02619000-1569452255_thumb.jpg

Incredible group man! All your stuff is awesome but I must say this is one really complete and rare group. Great to know everything basically survived over 70+years

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW! It is extremely rare to find a Sea Squatters pin. I have one in an AAF group. Yours is only the 2nd one I have seen.

Great group!!!!!!

Kurt

BigDogMilitaria

Thanks guys . Was very surprised how much was there . The taped interview with him from the mid 1990s was icing on the cake . Sharp guy and a great story teller