U.S. Officer Uniform with Silver Buttons

BigJim

This uniform belonged to a Battalion Surgeon in the 7th Div. in Korea. I noticed that it had silver buttons, I've never seen that, would the lapel insignia be silver as well as the cap badge, chinstrap and side buttons? Is it correct that a tan shirt with a black tie and belt would be worn with it? Would anyone have charts of the insignia that would be worn on the uniform shirt?post-193151-0-61966300-1569447247_thumb.jpgpost-193151-0-39641900-1569447261_thumb.jpgpost-193151-0-05701900-1569447268_thumb.jpg

They probably started off gold. Gold Anodized buttons often turn silver with age and time.

Maybe not. The Army used to allow the wear of what was called "white gold" buttons by soldiers. If done, all other metal insignia had to match. I don't know if it's still permissable.

As far as the Officer Caps worn with this, we would think only the Garrison Cap would be worn.

While we know Enlisted men wore their Service Caps with the Nickle Cap Device, and with Nickle chinstrap buttons and Nickle Collar Discs if there buttons were like this, an Officers Service Cap on the other hand, with Silver Chin Strap and Cap Device, not to mention Silver Bullion leaves on the visor if a Field Grade, would not be seen. The only possible thing would be to wear the standard O Service Cap, but with the Brass Cap Device replaced with a Nickle/Silver Air Force Officers Cap Device, but that would have to be seen.

Interesting that it has overseas bars but no combat patch.

Also note the GCM ribbon - he must have been prior enlisted?

Other ribbons look like post WWII (Army of Occupation) and Korea service.

I entered active duty in August of 1980 and I have a vague recollection of the "white gold" (i.e. silver) buttons being an optional purchase item. IIRC it was sold as a kit in the Clothing Sales stores (MCSS) where the kit would include all the buttons for a class A jacket, a belt buckle, and maybe a cap device (my mind's a little fuzzy there.) I also recall it was rarely used because of the requirement that everything match.

Interesting that it has overseas bars but no combat patch.

Also note the GCM ribbon - he must have been prior enlisted?

Other ribbons look like post WWII (Army of Occupation) and Korea service.

I entered active duty in August of 1980 and I have a vague recollection of the "white gold" (i.e. silver) buttons being an optional purchase item. IIRC it was sold as a kit in the Clothing Sales stores (MCSS) where the kit would include all the buttons for a class A jacket, a belt buckle, and maybe a cap device (my mind's a little fuzzy there.) I also recall it was rarely used because of the requirement that everything match.

As mentioned several times the wear of the "Combat Patch" was always optional, and in the post war 40s trough the 60s many vets, Os and EMs didn't wear it for whatever reason.

This uniform belonged to a Battalion Surgeon in the 7th Div. in Korea. I noticed that it had silver buttons, I've never seen that, would the lapel insignia be silver as well as the cap badge, chinstrap and side buttons? Is it correct that a tan shirt with a black tie and belt would be worn with it? Would anyone have charts of the insignia that would be worn on the uniform shirt?

Tan shirt, black tie, black web belt with the shiny brass buckle. Trousers would have had officer trim down the legs.

As far as the coat, needs only USs, medical branch, and officer rank.

Were there shoulder patches on it that were removed?