Photo of 6th Cavalry Trooper by Haynes cabinet card

scottiques

This is a 6th Cavalry Trooper photographed in the St. Paul, MN studio of F. Jay Haynes.

post-124583-0-89764800-1569267160.jpeg post-124583-0-22450500-1569267167.jpeg

post-124583-0-93104300-1569267172.jpeg post-124583-0-68612000-1569267179.jpeg

Haynes was a prolific Western photographer and has a significant collector following.

Uniform appears to be the M1885 or 1887 dress uniform. Helmet with numeral "6" can be seen on the studio rock. Looks to be an 1860 cavalry saber with three lines almost sharp enough to read (US, date, Inspector initials).

The photo dates from about 1889- 90s time period. Haynes opened his studio in St. Paul in 1889 which gives me a "no earlier than". I cannot find a reference to the 6th US Cavalry being in MN. They were moved to the Pine Ridge area during the Ghost Dance/ Wounded Knee time period.

Back of the card has a partial ID of John W. McN. Any thoughts on what this trooper was doing in MN or the identification is greatly appreciated.

Scott

That is a great pic. I do love these pic's with M1881 helmets as I have one of my GGreat Uncle.

The closest I can find the 6th is in Rapid City South Dakota at that time frame.

Possibly he was from Minnesota and was on leave while stationed in South Dakota,. Just a thought.

It still is a very nicely detailed pic.

Semper Fi

Phil

Thanks Phil-- I appreciate you taking the time to look and provide feedback.

Wish I had a photo of a family member from this time period-- have you posted your pic already?

Scott

Yes I have Scott. It was also colorized by a friend of mine. I think it turned out very well.

Here is one of the threads I posted about him searching for information.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210612-my-great-great-uncle-service-uniform/

Semper Fi

Phil

Thanks for the link.

I saw that when first posted-- nice image!

Scott