USMC MP badges

stiffnecked

I recently was given a large collection of Marine Corps MP badges. I'm currently searching for a definitive information source, Thanks.post-255929-0-18879300-1569246055_thumb.jpeg

There are a large variety of USMC MP badges out there, I have seen multiple types, some nicer than others, some really on the low and cheap end of the spectrum, some well made. They are a "controlled" item in the USMC, or at least used to be, so not something that traditionally there have been a lot of original examples of out there, not when compared to USAF and Army versions.

The Barstow badge was probably never used on duty. The badge number - 5811 - is the USMC number for the Military Police MOS. I suspect it is a commemorative or souvenir type. Some units allowed their Marines to order badges like that one, I guess as keepsakes. The 1st Sergeant and Pendleton badges appear to show significant use and wear, so probably original.

Also, the 1st Sgt badge - is it flat? Like as in carried in a wallet? The wear seems to be consistent with that.

A lot of the original badges said LAW ENFORCEMENT as part of the seal in the center, none of these do, not that that means anything specifically. I always associated that with original badges tho. The earlier badges - pre 1080's, I always saw as stamped versions, these are multiple piece ones, so maybe later?

I am not sure what is out there for sources as far as books.

There ARE a lot of variants, you are absolutely correct. I always understood that the badges were ordered "locally" - i.e. by each post, but no idea if that is true.

I think that all of the Sun badge examples (the newer, fancier, multiple piece badges) are generally 1990s and newer. Maybe late 80s, but in that era private purchase, based on what a career USMC MP told me and showed me. The 1980s era badges, and probably back into the 70s, are the stamped one piece ones, the style last ones in the linked thread that saw LAW ENFORCEMENT on them. All the oddball one-of badges, I suspect are 1940s to 1970s.

Many Marine MPs never used or saw or wore a badge, just an armband, depending on if they were assigned to "field" units or garrison units.

There are a large variety of USMC MP badges out there, I have seen multiple types, some nicer than others, some really on the low and cheap end of the spectrum, some well made. They are a "controlled" item in the USMC, or at least used to be, so not something that traditionally there have been a lot of original examples of out there, not when compared to USAF and Army versions.

The Barstow badge was probably never used on duty. The badge number - 5811 - is the USMC number for the Military Police MOS. I suspect it is a commemorative or souvenir type. Some units allowed their Marines to order badges like that one, I guess as keepsakes. The 1st Sergeant and Pendleton badges appear to show significant use and wear, so probably original.

Also, the 1st Sgt badge - is it flat? Like as in carried in a wallet? The wear seems to be consistent with that.

A lot of the original badges said LAW ENFORCEMENT as part of the seal in the center, none of these do, not that that means anything specifically. I always associated that with original badges tho. The earlier badges - pre 1080's, I always saw as stamped versions, these are multiple piece ones, so maybe later?

I am not sure what is out there for sources as far as books.

Thanks for the information. There are 78 badges total.. Quite a few hallmarked Sun Badge some with no date codes which makes them pre-1980. I've received some information that the "MP of Quarter" was used. The reason given for the 5811 mos # instead of an individualized serial number is that each quarter a different MP was selected to wear it for the next three month period. After that it was awarded again. Just needed to verify dates of use.

There ARE a lot of variants, you are absolutely correct. I always understood that the badges were ordered "locally" - i.e. by each post, but no idea if that is true.

I think that all of the Sun badge examples (the newer, fancier, multiple piece badges) are generally 1990s and newer. Maybe late 80s, but in that era private purchase, based on what a career USMC MP told me and showed me. The 1980s era badges, and probably back into the 70s, are the stamped one piece ones, the style last ones in the linked thread that saw LAW ENFORCEMENT on them. All the oddball one-of badges, I suspect are 1940s to 1970s.

Many Marine MPs never used or saw or wore a badge, just an armband, depending on if they were assigned to "field" units or garrison units.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...