Vietnam 506, 101st Abn death card

willysproject

willysproject

Hi,

I've recently obtained these 2 cards and I wanted to show them here too, and ask your opinion on these.

I know this design of card existed, but I also know that they are being reproduced.

These 2 are made on thick paper stock and are soiled. (I don't smell coffee or tea though :) )

Could some post a 100% fake card with this design if possible, in order to compare the card on pics?

kind regards,

Gerd V

post-549-1230905962.jpg

My only thought is the corners and edges of the card seem to be awfully sharp with no rounding at all in view of the age of the item, guess the soiling of the card just doesn't look right, like someone crumpled it, then rubbed in dust/dirt or such. Just IMHO and no expert.

Something like this is so easy to reproduce and as I recall Lancer Militaria and probably others were making these death cards in the 80s

Chris

I am going to agree with Zvez. I think he nailed it noting that the corners are sharp while you have all this "aging" to suggest the card is old.

Also, the paper itself does not seem to have aged or yellowed. All of the staining looks to be surface.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a photo copy rather than a printed item. Look at the lack of detail in the unit crest on photo #5.

We've had some other threads on death cards and you might want to take a look at them. Paper items are just way too easy to duplicate.

• 1 year later...

Well this is an interesting thread! Here is my death card and the story behind it.

Back in the 1970s/early 80s I was really into collecting Vietnam. One of the items that I bought at an Ohio Gun Collector's Association (OGCA) show was this death card.

post-203-1281927395.jpg

I asked the guy selling who brought it back and he gave me the name of an officer and the unit that he served with in the 506th. However, the interesting kicker is that he gave me the officer's serial number and where he was stationed during the war. Well fast forward 30 years and I decided to look up that officer. Sure enough he does show up in my references and with the same serial number that the guy at the gun show gave me.

I recently found an email address for the officer and sent him a picture of the card. I have not heard back from him yet, but still hope to hear from him.

What do you think of this one? I know they have been reproing this stuff almost forever, and I know it is hard to verify something from a photo. So what should I look for in an original?