M-65 Jacket + Liner cleaning

huntssurplus

Hello,

Picked up a 75 dated Cherokee Industries M-65 Jacket and Liner the other week and was wondering what would be the right way to clean the set without ruining/causing damage to them? First though was dry cleaning, but it looks like the tags say that they should not be dry cleaned. Thought machine washing would be too rough, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Hunt

Should be care instructions where it says do not dry clean. I believe these are just washed in a machine. Thats how I used to wash mine. But Im not saying you should. Check the tag./ tags

Hunt,

What's wrong with it? Musty smell but otherwise clean? Stains? If musty, spray down with rubbing alcohol, let dry then spray down with vinegar. Should take care of most of the root cause, but will need a few days for the vinegar smell to air out.

Stains: soak stains, apply either stain remover or dishwasher soap to the area, let soak, then either rinse off carefully in a bath tub or in a washer using the delicate option. Washers will contribute to fading, keep that in mind. So will the sun, so do not dry in bright sun on a hot day. Do not dry in a dryer on hot either as that is also not good. Outside, not in direct sun, is good; day light will also take care of mildew. When wet, do not hang on a flimsy hanger such as a wire hanger, as that will stress the, heavy from the water, jacket unnecessarily.

Hope this helps. And please post some pics, I love M65s;-)

Al

unless it is fragile and a relic...a one time machine wash is fine and hang to dry...inside or in shade outside...

and agree...pics M65 is a great jacket

Why were these recommend not to be Dry Cleaned, not that I paid any attention to the tag when I was in and my FJ was dirty from use, I guess I just washed them with all the rest of my stuff in the old barracks laundry room, just curious now as why they shouldn't of be dry cleaned :lol:

Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies, not much wrong with it honestly just a bit of a musty smell and a few stains. So it seems machine wash it most likely the best way to go? But should I put it in a drying machine or is that a no and it should be air dried instead?

And I’ll get some pictures up soon hopefully! It’s in pretty nice condition.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a M65 new in 1978 or 1979.Had it fry clean several times and also retreated for water repellancy.Never seen or had any issues from dry cleaning it.Other then it doesnt fit its still a solid jacket with tears of life in it after 30+ years.

Also was given a M51 style jacket and liner recently a friends dad had.It had hung in the family basement for years in a wardrobe.Had a musty smell.Took it to the cleaners and it turned out beautiful.I would have laundered it but the lables in it were real nice.The dry cleaner said she could hand launder per the lable.I said to what ever is the best in your opinion.She ended up doing the dry clean method.Cost $14 for jacket and liner and looked great.Also had took a 50s era nylon flight jacket to them and it was stained and also reeked of old smoke etc.They looked it over and said they could clean it.I was really amazed at how nice it turned out.I went to school with the owner and her and her husband do great work and really know the cleaning business.